How to Combat Depression as a College Student

Some personal tips from a college student that is prone to episodic depression.

33
usnews

I'd like to start off first by noting that I am not a doctor. My only authority on this subject is the fact that I have dealt with depression for pretty much the entirety of my life. I am now a nineteen year old sophomore in college, and I continue to deal with episodes of depression that come with absolutely no warning and last anywhere from a few days, to a few weeks, to a few months. But as a college student, a lot of the times my mental health gets pushed to the back burner while I focus on deadlines, working my job, and just trying to find time to eat and sleep without falling behind on hours or forgetting assignments. This is a list of tiny/moderate things that I do to help make my environment more bearable so that I can get my degree while also monitoring my mental health.

1. Stop being beating yourself up.

When I start to feel depressed, my first instinct is always to get angry with myself. I always start asking myself things like: why can't I just snap out of it? Why can't I just get up? Why am I like this? Why bother trying anymore if it's just going to keep coming back? And while depression is hard and can make you feel like you're literally dying ... beating yourself up for having it doesn't help anyone. Agonizing over factors that you can't control just adds to your stress levels and make the depression worse. And it's even harder in college because there are so many things going on! You have class, you have work, and you're also pressured to go out and meet people and be social. There are days that your friends get together and you know that usually you would want to go, but your depression says no. Don't beat yourself up! There will be other parties, and good friends will understand if you need a night to yourself for mental health. Instead of beating yourself up about what you can't do, don't want to do, or how you're feeling, just try to breathe and remember that your brain is a little different and that your emotions are just as valid as anyone else's. Just listen to yourself, do what is good for you, and do so unapologetically.

2. Break/Get into a routine.

College students are dominated by schedules and due dates, but that's not all that routines can be. Routines can be refreshing, such as routinely having an hour of meditation or something that you enjoy between your morning and afternoon classes. But, this tip really depends on the type of person you are. I like routine. I like having and executing plans. Well-executed plans make me happy, and routines make me feel secure. But if you're not that kind of person, sometimes a little break in routine might be able to help with depression as well. Other friends that I know that have dealt with depression have told me that breaking routine (even in small ways, like taking a different route to class or eating new things or listening to new music) can help them break through their depressions for enough time that they can be productive for a bit.

3. Morning music.

If you're not a music person, you can go ahead and skip to the next tip. In my case, music has always been very therapeutic to me. I've found that if I play music that I like (which varies week to week; I like a lot of different kinds of music) while I'm trying to wake up in the morning that it gives me a little energy boost that makes it easier for me to get out of bed. Of course this may not always be possible because of roommates, but if you have headphones or a super cool roomie, I would highly recommend this tip. There have been several mornings during which I contemplated skipping class to stay in bed due to lack of interest/motivation, but ended up kicking into gear after listening to some tunes.

4. Make to-do lists.

Again, this tip could vary depending on what kind of person you are. Some people don't work well with lists. But for me, when depression hits during the school year I always feel a sluggish lack of motivation, topped with feelings of frustration due to the energy required to accomplish the simplest of tasks. To-do lists are good reminders of what you've accomplished rather than what you haven't, and also a good alternative to overload induced panic. As I cross things off one by one, it helps motivate me to keep going and finish everything else on the list instead of being overwhelmed and feeling unproductive and useless.

5. Positive imagery.

This is another one that a lot of you are probably rolling your eyes at, but I swear that it works! Well, at least for me. I'm very tuned into my senses and a lot of my emotions come from the outside world. Basically, if I hear or see things that I like, I'm more likely to be happy. Even when I'm in a horribly low place, feeling even slightly better is a big deal. So keeping pictures of things that I like helps me get in a good frame of mind and it motivates me to do things. For instance, I'm a theatre major. I love Ramin Karimloo so much that seeing him on my board helps make me smile and makes me want to listen to his music, which then motivates me to actively work toward my own goals of one day working on Broadway and meeting talented people like him as a part of my living. This board could be an album on your phone, a physical board in your room, or even a blog on Tumblr or a board on Pinterest. It's really easy to do and really helpful to lessening a respective depression's severity.

6. Don't be afraid to tell people what you need.

While this may be a combination of depression and anxiety at work, I always find myself becoming very weak-willed with my needs during my depressions. I slip into the mentality that because I have to force myself to do things that I have no motivation to do (class, work, etc.) that my wants/needs no longer matter. At that point, I am not living for myself, but for others, just so that I can keep the wheel of my life turning. But that's not healthy either because it's a very small step away from being on auto-pilot and becoming numb, which can lead to longer bouts of depression and more serious issues. I've found that the best way to avoid this kind of robotic mentality is to actively try to do things that promote my well-being while also voicing my needs to others. Need an extension because you couldn't focus on your paper yesterday? Talk to your professor. Most professors will be understanding as long as it is not habitual behavior, and if your depression is more chronic you can usually talk to your school about disability services, which allow a little more academic leeway for those with mental barriers to education. This kind of assertive behavior can be useful in the classroom and outside of it in social situations as well. Just don't forget that your first priority is you, not everyone else.

7. Talk about it.

For a lot of people, myself included, talking about the negative issues in your life really helps. Even if you're 'depressed for no reason', talking about how you feel and your emotions in response to those feelings can sometimes get the clutter out of your brain and make you feel better. Sometimes the weight is just too strong to carry alone, and there is no shame in giving some of that weight to other willing participants. The person that you talk to doesn't have to be a professional, either. While therapy can be a great treatment option, it isn't for everyone. You could talk to a friend, a family member, or even start a blog or a diary. Anything to just document how you feel and get everything off your chest.

8. Fake it until you make it.

Although this article has been on the positive side, the truth is that depression is hell. Unless you go through it, you have no idea what it's like or how low it can get. There have been days where no amounts of positivity or encouragement could get me out of bed. Other people couldn't help me, and I wasn't capable of helping myself. But no matter how I feel, life goes on, and sometimes you just have to convince yourself that you'll get through it, even if you don't know how. Sometimes going to class, going to work, and just pretending to be alright for everybody else can lead to a genuine smile, or a genuine interest in something. And even small things like that are steps away from where you were if you wouldn't have played pretend for a bit. Sometimes playing pretend is all that we can do.

I hope that if you're a college student, or just somebody with depression issues, that this list helped you in some way. I'm proud of you for getting this far, and you're not alone. Just keep going and know that while you can't control what you were born with or what has happened to you, that every moment is a new opportunity to make things better. It's hard, but it's a fight worth fighting. Don't give up.