The 6 Things To Think About When Preparing For College

Preparing to go to college can be stressful, but it doesn't have to be.

26
Insight2Education

Preparing for college can be extremely stressful, especially if you’re a freshman. There are so many things to think about and get done in such a short amount of time and it can become extremely overwhelming. Aside from all the nerves you're facing about moving away from home (possibly) you have to fill out several forms and agreements. Here are six things to think about when preparing for college!

1. Get Started Early

Don’t wait until the last minute to do things. If you do, you’ll find deadlines flying by you and it will be hard to catch up. Procrastination might have worked in high school, but it is much easier to meet all the deadlines on time or ahead of time when getting ready for college.

2. Don't Do Everything All At Once

There will be a ton of things you have to do before you ever step foot on campus your first day. Do not try to do everything your school requires all at once. There are a ton of forms to be completed and they can get all mixed up and things will become confusing very quickly. If you rush through things then it may not be done correctly. Take your time and make sure everything is completed the way it should be.

3. Stay Organized

Make copies of every form you fill out. Save emails or letters that your school sends you so that you have it to reference if you need help later on. Sometimes you can answer your own questions by looking back through emails your school has already sent you. Keep everything in one spot so it is easy to locate when you need it later on.

4. Ask For Help

There are tons of people willing to help you through preparing for college. Do not be afraid to ask your school, parents, friends or even your high school teachers. Chances are, someone you know has been in the same spot as you and can help you figure out how to solve your problem. If not, call your school. They can give you the best answer to your question.

5. Start Shopping Early

If you are moving away from home, start shopping early. Instead of buying everything for your dorm all at once, buy things you know you will need in the months leading up to move in day. If you buy things in advance, it will be a lot less stressful.

6. Take Time To Relax

Step away from the college craziness. Tell your family to give you a day without saying the word “college". Otherwise, It will get overwhelming and seem like every family dinner revolves around your college prep. Take time to step away from everything college. Stepping away from college prep will give you time to clear your head and make you more focused when you get back to work.

All in all, getting ready to go to college can be difficult and stressful- but it doesn’t have to be. Use all the resources that your school gives you and lean on your family support. Yes, you will be going to college alone, but you don’t have to get there by yourself. It is a lot of work right now getting everything organized, but in a few months it will all be worth the chaos.