A College Student's Guide to Success

A College Student's Guide to Success

The Affordable Way

32
A College Student's Guide to Success
G.I Jobs

Okay, so I know what you're thinking. At least, if you're like me, you think this will be another one of those dreadful, repetitive and sometimes uninformative articles that belabor the many ways students do poorly in college/university and end up wasting their parents' money or financial help from other sources. Don't misunderstand: it is imperative to know that failure is possible, but these articles become useless when they do not offer advice as to how one should avoid those failures. Now that we know what I'm not here to cover, let's find out what the big mystery is.

For most of us the fall semester has either just started or it will in just a matter of days. Going back to school will always be both exciting and terrifying for me. Exciting because I'm one of those people who love school (it's a love-hate relationship, but mostly I love it) and enjoy going back to see my friends and meeting my new professors (praying that I'll like them). It's terrifying because it's another semester full of unknowns and the terrifyingly overpriced, but mandatory, textbooks. I don't know about you, but I wish someone had prepared me for the drastic change in cost of course materials. I can't speak for all of us, but I went from paying zero dollars for textbooks in my four years of high school to potentially spending over $500 on course material for just one semester. Why, oh why, didn't they warn us?

Well, you've gotten this far and most likely no one held your hand the entire way through high school. And it's awesome that you have experience because there is absolutely no hand-holding in college. You might get some tips, tricks and advice here and there, but no one's going to do your homework for you. With that said you should be able to find multiple ways to avoid spending your last dollar on that 13th edition textbook that we all know is just a scrambled version of the 12th edition. Notice in the previous paragraph I wrote "potentially spending $500 on course material"? That's because the most I've ever spent on textbooks in my past four semesters is $125. Yes, there may be those of you out there that have never spent a dime on textbooks, but until I see proof I'll say that's mostly fiction. For the students who have spent even less than I have, "teach me your ways oh wise one" and leave some comments below.

For those of you who don't have money to spend on expensive new textbooks, clickers and other class material I will tell you how I've learned to get through my semesters the affordable way. If there are students out there who do have the money to spend on these books, save it for something else unless it's absolutely necessary. Here's what I've learned in my two years at college:

1. Make sure the textbook is required before you purchase it.

Professors like to state on their syllabi that their textbook is required and sometimes even go so far as to say that your grade will suffer without it. When you see this do not, I repeat DO NOT go off in a panic-induced frenzy to buy that book. Stay calm because your wallets and purses will get through this. What you should do is get in contact with a past student or check out RRate My Professor to determine if the book is really necessary. However, this does not always work. The students who provide reviews can be biased in favor of or against the class and that may potentially skew their reviews. What I do is take their words with a grain of salt, judge how I feel about the class and then determine if I still want to get the textbook. But even if I decide to get the book there's hope for me yet...

2. Ask around for old books and become best friends with Amazon, Ebay, Chegg and all other student-friendly sites.

Okay, so you realize now that although the textbook isn't necessary for you to understand the course, you would prefer to have it anyway. This is completely justified. You may want the extra structure practice that a textbook provides; you may need it in the future for a big standardized exam for graduate school or a million other reasons. But if there's one thing you should learn in college it's this: never buy anything full-priced if you don't have to. Ask a friend who took the class before: they may loan or sell you the book at a reduced price; go online and buy an older version or a used copy. You'll save money and you'll feel smart for doing it. That feeling is the best way to start off any semester.

3. If that fails, get the international version.

Books come in multiple formats in this day and age. This is so that publishers can cater to a wider audience and increase their profits all around. The international version of a text, if there is one, is usually very similar with only slight differences. The international version may have a soft cover and, like that 12th edition book, may have problem sets on a different page. If you're resourceful enough you'll get the cheaper version and make it work so you'll get that A. Who cares about hardcover books anyway? They're heavier and make you pay more just for an extra 10 pounds of paper. #YouCanKeepIt

4. Go on the hunt for the PDF version.

I'll clear this up from the beginning: it is not okay to steal the hard work of professionals who create these textbooks and it is even worse to steal it and attempt to make a profit. With that said, there are tons of legal digital books that are accessible online. The publisher or author(s) may make an earlier edition free, but require payment for the more current editions. And that's okay because theories tend to stay the same so there won't be that many changes across editions. Also, there are students who buy eBook textbooks and are somehow able to download and save the file. Don't ask me how; all I know is that it is possible. They then put in on Google drives that are open to the public and all you have to do is type it in your search engine and you'll find it. Sounds too easy? Well, of course it won't work for every book, but I am willing to exhaust every method before I type in my card number and hit check out.

5. Find a similar text and have it approved by the professor.

Despite what we sometimes think, professors were once students. I know, scary isn't it? That means they understand that school isn't cheap and realize that not everyone can afford their ridiculously expensive books. Another thing is, they most often have no say in the price of the book--that's the publisher and author's doing. If you're brave enough, and you should be because this is youreducation and money on the line, you'll go up to your professor and politely ask if you may use a comparable textbook instead of the recommended one. For some classes the answer will be no, but that isn't always the case. My anthropology professor last semester happily agreed to allow me to use an alternative text as long as I understood the material and if not, went to her with any questions. It's that simple.

Your education is very important and you should treat it that way. Don't make an expensive book or material be the the reason why you failed a class. Going to school can be a full-time job and getting your books isn't even half of it. When I got to college and realized just how expensive things were, I panicked a little, then got to work budgeting for my semesters. Do your homework before school starts. That means finding out what books you'll need and beginning the search as early as you possibly can.

I have to say, I feel for the freshman class every year. I've been in your shoes and those were my most expensive semesters. When you just start out at a new school it is admittedly harder to find book bargains ahead of time, but it isn't impossible. Take these tips and make as much use of them as I have, and remember, nothing is impossible. Work hard this semester and you'll see how true that is.