7 Traits to Being A Successful College Student

17111

No one ever said that being a college student was going to be easy.  In fact, being a college student is a very challenging and daunting task.  It is important to exhibit certain traits in order to maximize your years in college.  The following is a list of traits that will enable you to be position yourself onto a path of collegiate success.   

1. Time Management. This will be your life savor in college.  College students are notorious for their lack of sleep, up-all-night studying, and overall, subpar balance of time.  I am here to tell you that this does not have to be.  You can get enough sleep every night while still fulfilling everything that needs to be done.  It is called MANAGING YOUR TIME!  Don’t spend hours on Social Media or watching Netflix.  Get your work done first and then do the “fun stuff!”  I promise you, this actually does help.  One you can figure out how to complete all your work, have fun, and still get sleep, then you know you have made it.   

2. Determination.  There are two types of college students: those who make it and those who break it.  There is one common trait among the students who make it: determination.  Without the drive and motivation to gain the most knowledge out of college courses/do the best you can on assignments and exams, then you will definitely fall into that break-it crowd.  Set goals and let college be the time to figure out how you are going to achieve those goals.  Keep your eye on the prize!   

3. Focus.  Any college student can tell you how many distractions there are in one day.  There are so many other activities for you to do besides your school work that it is very easy to get off track.  Always remember to remain focused on what you came to college to do: gain an exemplary education to build a future, successful career.  Do not let the parties, sporting events, or any other type of distraction faze you.  Remember what you came to college to do and conquer it.   

4. Priorities.  If there is one piece of advice I can pass down to any student entering college, it is to set priorities.  Clearly, it is impractical to be studying 24/7.  You will drive yourself insane!  That does not go to say that the majority of your time should be spent studying and doing well on academics.  Either way, it is important to categorize your activities in order of importance.  Setting these priorities will allow you to stay organized and accomplish tasks in an efficient and effective manner that will leave you feeling proud, relieved, and ultimately, happy!   

5. Flexibility.  There are no two days in college that are the same.  Each day throws another challenge at you, a test to your determination and will power.  Because of the ever-changing nature of college, it is important to remain flexible.  Some days you will not have a lot of work and other days you will be completely bogged down with work.  It is important to be able to adjust to those different types of days while maintaining a healthy lifestyle balance.   

6. Communication.  It seems as if the mode of communication takes on different forms for different people.  Regardless of the form of communication, communicating with classmates, roommates, and professors is key to a successful college career.  Talk to your classmates and talk through struggles in classes.  Form study groups to maximize learning and preparation for exams.  Talk to your roommate.  Whether you are best friends with your roommate or complete strangers, talk through any problems and form a healthy relationship (because you’re stuck with them for the year…).  Most importantly, communicate with professors.  Do not just shoot them an email.  They appreciate when you go up and talk to them in person.  Take advantage of office hours and never be afraid to ask them questions or for assistance!   

7. Engagement. Finally, the best way to become a successful student in college is to become active and involved in the school and local community.  Academics comprise only so much of what college is about.  Get involved in clubs that support your majors/minors or just your interests in general.  Explore different career paths and have fun with whatever activities you partake in.   

Following these seven attributes is sure to lead you in the right direction of a successful college career.