12 Ways To Give Back This Holiday Season, Even If You're A Broke College Student

Tis the season for giving, no matter who you are.

26

It's that time of the year again where everyone is asking their family members and loved ones what they want for Christmas, as well as sending out lists of their own. It can be very easy to get wrapped up in your own wants and needs at this time, but it is important that we remember this is also the season of giving, not just receiving.

As a college student, I know it can be hard to give back when our wallets are virtually empty. However, there are so many ways to give back that do not involve money at all, and they can be really fun!

Here are 12 fun and easy ways to give back without breaking your bank this holiday season.

1. Donate old clothes to your local shelter

As it gets colder outside, make sure people in your area have the ability to stay warm by donating old coats, sweaters, scarves, mittens, hats, blankets, or anything you can to a local shelter.

2. Donate blood

I understand donating blood is not for everyone, but if you don't mind it this is a great way to give back to the people in need in your community.

3. Volunteer at a local animal shelter

Furry friends need love too!

4. Write a thank you card for your professors

Our professors teach us so much throughout the semester, make sure they feel appreciated by writing them a thank you note at the end of the semester! This is a very easy way to give back to them for all that they gave you throughout the year.

5. Take leftover food/baked goods to local fire and police stations 

It happens, sometimes our eyes are way bigger than our stomachs. Don't let food go to waste this holiday season and drop it off at local stations in your area.

6. Be sure to recycle!

This is something we should be doing all year round, but do your part to give back to the planet by paying special attention to your recycling efforts during the holiday season.

7. Write cards and letters to send to local hospitals and elder care homes

They will appreciate them more than you know.

8. Volunteer at a local food shelter

The holidays are a busy time for food shelters in all areas trying to make sure people have meals to eat, they will welcome all the help they can get!

9. Donate canned goods to your local food shelter

If you do not have time or cannot volunteer at a shelter, dropping off food they can hand out is just as important! Canned goods can be as cheap as $0.69 at grocery stores all over!

10. Donate your hair

This one may seem odd, but we've all been through the phase where we really wanted to try something new with our hair, and now is the perfect time to do it! You get a new look and give something so special to a child in need. Visit the Locks of Love website for more details on this.

11. Shop on Amazon Smile

Amazon Smile is operated by Amazon and has the same products, prices and features as Amazon, but every time you buy something on Amazon smile, it donates 0.5% of your purchase price to the charitable organization of your choice. Using Amazon Smile while buying gifts for your friends and loved ones is the perfect way to give back without spending any extra money!

12. Be kind to people.

The holidays are a time for happiness, joy, and most importantly, love. Show the people in your community they are loved no matter what by smiling, waving, and being overall kind to everyone you see. You never know what a difference a small act like this can make in someone's life.

Giving back to people in need in your community does not have to be about money. Spread some holiday cheer this season by giving back in as many ways as you can, and you will receive something no amount of money can buy; the gift of knowing you did something good for someone in need and made people happy.