How To Cope With Back To School Stress

How To Cope With Back To School Stress

Tip #1: Don't stress.

47

It's currently August, which means a new school year is quickly approaching. Even though I will be returning to college as a sophomore with friends and minimal debt, I'm still worried about what is to come. With my GroupMe app becoming more active again, I had not expected to be so busy before classes even started.

I applied to be a mentor for freshmen this coming year and didn't hear back about it until last week. I am excited about this opportunity because I really enjoy helping people in any way I can and this is a great way to meet some new people. On the flipside I really want my fellow mentors and my mentees to like me. This "need" is something I deal with in any social situation.

I'm taking five classes this semester which is the recommended amount, but I'm worried about taking my geology science and my second semester of Spanish. Luckily I have a friend who is almost done with her Spanish minor so I have someone to go to when I eventually start to struggle.

I also have a class that is ten minutes after another one on Fridays and I am not sure if it is even possible for me to be on time to. There is also the issue of my "on campus" apartment being on the southernmost end of campus so figuring out my route to classes will definitely be a challenge the first week.

My tips for anyone in my situation and myself is to take it one day at a time and plan as much as you can. During the first week of school try to find your classrooms before you have class. Also leave earlier than you normally would so you can have an estimate of how long it takes you to get to your classroom from your car, apartment or another class.

As a sophomore, you now know of many educational resources and what your university offers in order to help struggling students. More than likely you also have a community of friends going through similar feelings during this time of year so it is always a good idea to find a time to talk with them and remember that school starting means the fall season will be here soon!