To The College Roommate Who Wouldn't Be My Friend, For Reasons I Still Don't Know

I'll always wonder where it went wrong.

68

Something every freshman wants to find at their university is a forever friend (no not a dog). Someone who they would like to stick by their side throughout all 4 years of college. I was no exception.

I don't know what I did to lose the potential to be your friend, but that's what happened.

I thought it would be easy to bond since we were in the same boat together: away from home for the first time, no friends from high school with us, insecurities about being at this university, the list goes on and on. I, at least, was on board with this. That's why I invited you to come and eat with me several times.

Or study together.

Or shop together.

Or just be friends.

But you always turned away.

And I don't know why.

You could have asked about how my classes were going. You could have asked if I made new friends.You could have asked what was wrong when you heard me quietly sniffling in the other corner of the room. But you didn't. I guess my expectations were too high.

I always asked you what was wrong when you seemed down. I always asked how your weekend at home was. I always asked how your classes were going. Most of the time I got one-word replies, but I didn't give up on you. I just didn't understand how two people can live in such close proximity of each other and not care about what the other one is doing.

I helped you write that email to your professor when you missed a test when you were sick. I always asked if you wanted me to drive you to get medicine.

But I guess you can't force a friendship if it's not meant to be, just always wonder where it went wrong.