Why Dating In College Doesnt Mean Im Missing Out

Believe it or not, us tied down folk have fun too.

263
google images

People often times view college as the time to be wild and crazy---staying committed only to their academics. This is the time to be partying, hanging out with the girls every night, and not having a care in the world (unless its exam week of course).

Time and time again, I have heard people say things like "Who would want to be tied down in college?" "Those people are missing out on the single life."

Since when is being in a relationship seen as being held back? When did the single life become so glamorized?

Newsflash: Being single is not all it's cracked up to to be. Good relationships won't make you feel like you are being held back, tied down, or like you are missing out.

I decided to compile a list of reasons why people who are dating in college are actually doing it right.

(Note: This is not an article putting people down for being single. You do you, girlfriend.)

1. You don't actually "miss out" on anything.

You want to have some brews with the fellas? You want to drink some wine, and cry while watching Pretty in Pink with the girls? You want to go to a party?

Guess what--believe it or not, being in a relationship doesn't mean you become a recluse. And there are benefits, for example, you can go to parties and such with your significant other. You get to have fun without worrying about being hit on, or having to experience the ugly side of hook-up culture.

2. You have someone to share homework, meals, and college experiences with.

Before you hit me with the, "Well I can do this with my girls/bros" comeback, let me clarify that while yes you can do this with them, they may not always be around or available. Your significant other is someone who wants to be spend time with you. They are someone you can get crummy college cafeteria meals with, and spend late nights studying in the library with. They are someone who is facing the same college struggles, and enduring the same amount of stress. They are someone who get it.

3. They keep you out of trouble.

There is a difference between someone holding you back from college experiences, and keeping you from making bad decisions. While that is a blurry line, those two are very different.

You see, being in a relationship gives you someone that will hold you accountable. They will encourage you to go to your classes, instead of skipping. They will give you alternative plans, rather than attending that party Thursday night when you have a Friday morning 8 am. They encourage you to study, rather than just winging it.

4. You have someone who loves you, while your discovering yourself and growing.

College is a time where everyone is finding themselves. You are choosing a career path, and planning your future. Will you go to law school? Will you get a masters? Will you do an internship next summer? Have you switched your major eight times (and counting)?

While everything is constantly changing, it is nice to have a constant. Someone reliable, to trust through all of it.

Its nice knowing that while everything will change after college, one thing at least will stay the same.

5. You learn early how to handle a mature relationship.

College is all about preparing for the real world, and in the real world (most of us) will end up getting married or having a significant other to grow old with.

It is beneficial to learn how to have a mature relationship sooner rather than later.

6. You don't have to be constantly worrying about whether he will text you back, or she will agree to go on that date.

Being in a relationship really makes you appreciate not having to worry about other guys or girls.

Have you ever listened to your friend complain about a guy not texting her back for days? Have you heard some peoples Tinder date horror stories?

It doesn't take much to make you appreciate being in the relationship you are in. If you are currently in a relationship in college, just remember that there are so many perks to finding your significant other now instead of later. Don't let people make you think otherwise.