The 7 Best Feelings As A College Student

Refund check AND a B on a math test? I'll take it.

113

When you're a college student, you're shoved into a new, immensely stressful new period of your life. Everyone had bad days, and there is always a point in the semester where you question your sanity. However, there are moments in your college life that make the stress bearable.

With that said, here is a list of the absolute best feelings when you're a college student.

Free/Cheap Stuff

As a college student, you aren't exactly living the most lavish or extravagant life. As a result, being able to save money on school materials is a good feeling. Today, I was buying my school textbooks ahead of time and was able to save money by getting used books. By extension, some teachers don't require textbooks, often in consideration of students' finances.

This doesn't only pertain to school supplies. During the first week of school, there were tables set up outside one of the dining halls with free bags, sunglasses, and other items with the school logo. Not everyone would want to spend the money on these items, so they took the opportunity to take what was provided.

Refund Checks

There's no question that attending college comes from a hefty price tag. My parents are supporting me, but I'm fully aware and appreciative of what it takes for me to go to URI. As a result, the possibility of a refund check is always a welcome one. In my freshman year, I received refunds both semesters for living in a triple dorm. This was standard across the board, but it was nice to have.

Getting Good Grades

Obviously, you should be aiming for good grades in college. As stated above, college comes at a price, and it isn't worth it if you aren't trying to get the grade. However, there is something to be said about some classes being more difficult than others. For business students, that class is usually intro to accounting. For STEM majors, it's organic chemistry.

My point is, each student has at least one or two classes that give them trouble. Any student who cares about their grade will do what it takes to raise it. When this pays off, the result is gratifying. After doing poorly on my first statistics test, I met with other classmates to study for the next one. Our hard work helped us to improve our grades.

Getting Sufficient Amounts of Sleep

In order to achieve the good grades mentioned above, there is always plenty of work involved. Most students are taking 15-18 credits each semester, with a multitude of assignments due for each class. As a result, there are often late nights pulled at the library, studying and cranking out final essays until 2:00 in the morning. It's a vicious cycle.

Because of this, when you actually get the recommended amount of sleep, it feels amazing. Waking up and feeling refreshed gives you the energy necessary to keep going.

Having The Dorm To Yourself

This might be more of a "me" thing, but I'll still include it.

As someone who was lucky enough to have my own room growing up, having to share space in my freshman dorm was an adjustment. In my sophomore, I didn't have this problem, and I really do like my roommate. However, he goes home most weekends, giving me two nights to myself. This gives me the freedom to just crash in my dorm after a long week or a night out, without having to coordinate with the other person.

Lenient/Helpful Professors

College professors have complete power in their classroom. They can make a hard subject easy, or they can make a simple subject needlessly difficult. I've encountered both types of professors in my time, and the latter definitely caused me to struggle. This is annoying no matter what, especially if the professor is teaching a class that is a core requirement for your major.

On the other side of the coin, there are many amazing professors that do everything to help their students. Having professors that are genuinely passionate about their subject AND can convey the material in a concise way are, in my opinion, the best type of professors.

Memories With Friends

I am of the very strong opinion that friends are the most important piece of life's puzzle. They're the ones that make your life whole, and give you the motivation that you need.

When I'm not in class or studying, I'm always looking for an opportunity to meet up with friends and hang out. In the year and a half I've spent at college, I've made so many new friends, and as a result, I have many new memories. I will always have a story to tell, and I am always happy to meet new people.