A College Grad's 10-Goal Manifesto For The New Year

Nothing fancy, just love.

46
Katy Belcher on Unsplash

With the New Year finally here, there are lots of different attitudes and perspectives regarding what it will bring. Some commit to resolutions for weight loss and reading more, some mock the concept of resolutions, some choose a word or a theme to commit to for the coming year, and some treat January 1 as though it is just another day.

I'm a strange combination of all of these. The classic resolution has never worked for me. I find they often become monotonous and underwhelming. I do like to choose a word for the year, but I tend to keep it to myself. This year, I was again inspired by Gretchen Rubin's Happier podcast (I'm obsessed), to make a manifesto.

I've developed a list of themes, goals, and helpful reminders in order to make the new year memorable, intentional, and enjoyable.

1. Fewer Things, Better.

This is a Gretchen Rubin quote as well. "Fewer things, better" reminds me to choose things that are better quality, rather than a larger quantity. For example, when shopping I'll only purchase higher quality, staple pieces, rather than beaucoups of cheap outfits I don't need or want. This also applies to food. I want to choose meals and foods that contain fewer ingredients and have more nutritional value.

2. Don't Read The Comments.

I don't know about you, but I get sucked into the deep, dark comment sections on Facebook and Twitter and I find myself completely enthralled in the absurd and judgmental statements that people boldly and blindly make behind the safe haven of a computer screen. This year, I'm going to avoid the comments on posts that aren't directed at me or aren't beneficial.

3. Less Cleaning, More Maintenance.

This one is kind of self-explanatory and arguably could fit into "fewer things, better" as well. However, I decided that it needed its own category since I am so guilty of letting my environment fall into shambles around me before I decide I need to clean it. This year I'll focus on picking up as I go. When I'm brushing my teeth, I'll wipe down the counter. When I finish laundry, I'll put it away. When I wrap up a craft project, I'll throw away scrap paper. Simple.

4. Make Time For Words.

Conversations, writing, reading. These are all things I love, but that I tend to push to the back of my mind. I want to ensure that I commit my time to all three of them in the coming year by reading at least two books each month, writing articles and blog posts consistently, and calling and meeting with friends and family as often as I can to catch up.

5. Journal It Out.

I'm a big advocate for journaling. It has helped me immensely in many ways throughout the year. One thing I plan on focusing my attention on is journaling out all my anxieties and worries as they start to overwhelm me. In the past, I've been guilty of letting a worry overcome my thoughts. By writing them out as they come, I'll be able to get the negative thoughts on paper and out of my head.

6. Make Time For Hobbies.

I've got a list a mile long of things I want to do and learn. From sewing to cake decorating to hand lettering to floral design, there are lots of things I could be investing more time in. This year, I'm going to carve out a time in my schedule to focus my sole attention on a hobby or skill that I want to grow.

7. Speak Softer, Speak Kinder, Speak Less.

Anyone who knows me could tell you that patience is not my strongest virtue. I find myself often angry at strangers who are walking too slowly, drivers who don't use their blinkers, younger brothers who don't flush when they're done using my bathroom, etc. This year I want to be more intentional with my words. I want to yell less, I want to speak kinder words and sentiments, and if I can't do those things then I don't want to respond at all.

8. Work Doesn't Have To Be Work.

Since I just graduated and I am continuing in the dreaded job search, I am constantly reminding myself that I can find a career that I love and enjoy and that work doesn't have to be the dark, miserable time-suck that I'm portraying it as.

9. Focus On Financial Future.

I'm a recent college grad who had to take a year off work to deal with anxiety, has three credit cards, commutes 45 minutes to school and back every day, and doesn't have a career locked down. How do you think my finances look? Yeah. Not so good. So this year will be about saving, being frugal, and paying down debt. How you ask? I have no idea. I'll have to get back to you.

10. Nothing Fancy, Just Love.

This year is a big year for me. I'll be a married woman come May (to the most incredible man ever!) and it's gotten me thinking about exactly how I want our "big day" to be remembered. I came upon the phrase "nothing fancy, just love." And I thought to myself how perfectly that described everything I wanted in life.

My wedding, my home, my marriage, my career, my appearance.

I don't want to exude fanciness and glitz and glamour. I just want people to look at my life and see love. Self-love, my love for Alex, my love for others, but mostly my love for the Lord and His love for us.