College Drinking Culture And Social Inclusion

How college drinking culture impacts students who don't drink.

206
Verge Campus

Many colleges and universities are famously — or infamously, depending on one's perspective — known as "party schools." The stereotype holds that these are usually large state universities, as the extensive student population and less expensive tuition at these colleges produce less serious students who are more likely to "party." This assumption led me to believe I would be relatively isolated from the party scene and drinking culture by attending a small liberal arts college. Of course, I wasn't completely ignorant. I knew some students would partake in drinking alcohol, but I expected this to be a minority and I did not believe these individuals would greatly impact me.

At first, this seemed to be the case. Since I was not invited to any parties and failed to hear of them occurring, I assumed they did not happen frequently. Eventually, I realized this notion was misguided: I simply was not informed about parties and drinking because I was socially isolated. I spent most of my time studying and did not have many friends; the only friend I did have didn't drink alcohol either, so I had no reason to drink socially, as many college students do. Drinking never appealed to me, regardless. I am not fond of the taste of alcohol and fail to understand the purpose of drinking a beverage which is not satisfying taste-wise. On top of that, I am a strong believer in not utilizing any substance which alters one's cognition unless medically necessary. Thus, drinking alcohol is something I choose not to do, simply because it does not seem rational. Furthermore, this belief has never been challenged because I have not experienced peer pressure to drink due to my lack of social relations.

Placing my moral opposition to alcohol aside, it is entirely possible the primary reason I do not drink alcohol is because I rarely engage socially with other students. After all, drinking mostly occurs in social settings, so if I took part in more social activities I would likely be surrounded by more students who drink alcohol. In such a setting, I may feel compelled to drink as well in order to “fit in.”

Does this mean introverts are less likely to drink simply because they do not "go out" as frequently as extroverts, and thus experience less peer pressure to drink? This assumption is logical but premature. After all, what if instead of social isolation leading to abstinence from alcohol, the reverse is actually the case? What if the choice not to drink contributes to having fewer social connections?

Considering my moral opposition to alcohol, this theory makes more sense than the former. I haven't had a drop of alcohol since my parents allowed me to have a couple sips of champagne on my sixteenth birthday. This isn't simply due to convenience; I consciously choose not to drink. As I previously stated, I fail to understand the purpose and do not desire to participate in an action which alters my cognition. Many individuals drink alcohol to feel more relaxed in social settings — in fact, this would be a compelling argument for why introverts may not drink less alcohol than extroverts. Nevertheless, I believe masking one's personality in this fashion is superficial and wrong. Therefore, I had an unfavorable opinion of alcohol prior to entering college, which disproves the theory that social isolation, leading to a lack of peer pressure, resulted in my resolution not to drink.

Moreover, my lack of desire to participate in the college drinking culture surely contributes to my limited knowledge of parties. If I truly wished to participate, I could seek out these social functions, as many students likely do. Parties are the primary social events that take place on college campuses, and the main reason students attend parties is to drink. So by not drinking and, by extent, not seeking out the primary social functions at Austin College, I actually exclude myself from the social landscape and hinder my opportunities to find a place of belonging. The cycle ensues: I don’t drink so I don’t seek out parties, leading me to be on the outside of the social bubble, resulting in fewer people inviting me to various social gatherings, ultimately producing my poor social life.

At first glance, this doesn’t seem like much of a problem. After all, it is clear I’m solely responsible for my inadequate social life by, among other factors, choosing not to participate in the college party scene. Why should I complain when this decision was entirely mine? Additionally, many would argue the main focus of college should be learning and preparing for a career, not socializing. Nevertheless, I believe socializing is a significant aspect of college life that cannot be ignored. According to psychologists Roy Baumeister and Mark Leary, the “need to belong” is a fundamental human need which can only be satisfied by frequent, positive interactions with the same individuals within a long-term and stable framework. Baumeister and Leary contend that failure to satisfy one’s need to belong can lead to higher levels of mental and physical illness, as well as a decrease in health, happiness, and adjustment.

While it may seem that socializing is a trivial and superficial aspect of college life, many college students may actually be trying to form long-lasting relationships in order to satisfy their “need to belong”. This need is likely especially strong among college students, as most of these individuals have recently moved away from home and are seeking brand-new social connections as they distance themselves from the safety nets of their parents. Failure to form these new social connections may lead to deteriorated mental health, including depression and anxiety, which seem to on the rise among young adults and teenagers.

Many college students attempt to satisfy the “need to belong” by participating in the college drinking culture. Under the influence of alcohol, students experience less anxiety during the challenging task of trying to make new friends. Additionally, college students who drink automatically have something in common: they all drink alcohol. This commonality creates a sense of sameness which leads to increased levels of comfortableness for all those involved. Therefore, combining the decreased inhibitions caused by the intake of alcohol with the immediate sense of belonging created by sharing a common experience, the college drinking culture substantially decreases the struggle of finding a group of friends.

I would not go as far as to say my choice not to drink alcohol was solely responsible for my lack of social connections, but it surely contributed. Not only would drinking alcohol have loosened my inhibitions enough to put myself out there, it would have given me the opportunity to meet more people in an environment outside of the classroom. When drinking alcohol is the predominant activity at social gatherings, an introverted person like myself who does not drink is put at a serious disadvantage. I could choose to engage in social events which involve drinking, but being the only individual declining alcohol in a group of other students feels disconnected. It's like being on the outside of the bubble that cannot be broken into. In such a situation, the purpose of socializing is defeated, because abstaining from alcohol automatically makes you an outsider, whether or not you are physically present.

People underestimate the influence of the drinking culture on college campuses. Being someone who struggles to make friends in the first place plus choosing not to drink alcohol makes the social scene difficult to break into. Consequently, if one isn't able to form social connections, his/her mental health could be adversely affected. I am not saying it is impossible for individuals like myself to find others similar in morals and actions, nor am I saying every college student except myself drinks alcohol. But what it boils down to is this: it is very challenging to find other students who do not drink when the primary avenues for social contact are parties, which are filled with only those who drink.

The college drinking culture is criticized constantly for contributing to rape culture, influencing negative stereotypes about college students, and leading to increased rates of alcoholism among young people, however, it is rarely blamed for what, in my opinion, is one of its ultimate consequences: hindering the ability of students like myself to find a social niche.