A Reality Check On Your College Diet

A Reality Check On Your College Diet

It seems that the odds are against you and Pinterest isn't all it's cracked up to be.

19
A Reality Check On Your College Diet
The Kind Tips

Class is starting, yet again. Did I mention that this is your third class today and you’ve only managed to shove a granola bar into your mouth at about 10 a.m.? Your focus is minimal, as you hunch over the table while grasping your rumbling stomach.

Classes are hard, especially when you are running back to back with about ten minutes to spare in-between. Although your Pinterest account is harbored with delicious recipes: Detox smoothies, elaborated “cheap” eats and fabulous dinners. Here you are purchasing quick sandwiches and cream cheese stuffed bagels.

You aspire to be fit. Yet almost every cafeteria meal consists of Taco Tuesdays and pasta. Sure, you could go to the never changing salad bar and eat healthy this way. You know that’s not ideal. The salads aren’t switching like a restaurant special, they generally consist of the exact same vegetables as they did yesterday.

The gym is filled with athletes who don’t train alone. You make a plan to workout in your bedroom. Hours later, you haven’t put a dent in your homework and it’s nearly midnight. Also, you’ve forgotten to eat again and the dining halls are now closed, the coffee shop only offers sandwiches until 7 pm and you don’t have the time to make any of the elaborate “cheap” eats.

The result of this? Delivery. You could order the diet dishes presented on the Chinese food menu but is soy sauce that healthy? You might be able to find a pizza delivery with thin crust or in some cases, gluten free. Here's something to keep in mind, gluten free has almost as much starch as traditional pizza crust. Is there really a difference?

You scroll through your Pinterest and begin to notice each meal isn’t necessarily cheap, not for someone living week to week. They might be cheap when “splitting” these ingredients into servings but to purchase numerous meals is an easy $150 at Target. At least you save five percent on your Redcard though, right?

How can one be healthy in college? They say student health comes first and yet you are stuck rushing to class and sacrificing your health by not sticking to your eating goals. Each Youtube Health Guru seems to have the answers until you realize that you don’t fit into the same category. You don’t have the money, or the time to eat and your school doesn’t always provide the best eating alternatives.

I myself, struggle immensely with this. Last year I lost 100 lbs. I'm almost ashamed to admit, that I've gained most of it back within this past year. I became obsessed with recipes and Youtube videos and became SO frustrated with this idea of doing it their way because my way was no longer working. I was in classes back to back from 8 am to 3:30 pm, with one 40 minute break to spare. I couldn't follow what I was doing, I didn't have time to be mindful of lactose intolerance or gluten intolerance. I simply had to succumb, I had to order pizza and Chinese. I had to eat bagels.

The truth is, I've never felt worse. I love the idea of treating oneself, of having a cheat day to just eat whatever you may be craving but not because you are hungry, because you deserve to take it easy and to congratulate all of your healthy eating.

Tips for sticking to your eating goals during college: find something that fits for you. Stop idealizing all that Pinterest has to offer and spend days in frustration. Preparation days sound fun but do not pick Sunday. Sunday is the epitome of homework, it is the one day you sit and work nonstop because you decided to relax during the weekend. Plan for you. Don’t give up on what you want, because you deserve to succeed and still stick to your own goals.

My way of getting myself back on track? Weighing myself, writing in my Blogilates fitness planner. Even a simple notebook, I write what I've eaten, what I've done (exercise, no exercise) and how it made me feel. Nothing contributes to your health more than you. No one knows how your body feels more than you, listen to it. Don't go through the same struggles I have this previous year. Simply plan ahead, to your own schedule and not to Pinterest. Listen to your body, what do you want? Do you feel good?

Love yourself. In all ways possible.