Colin Kaepernick is the farthest thing from a hero.
News

Colin Kaepernick Is No Hero

He wouldn't know true sacrifice if it slapped him in the face.

307
commons.wikimedia.org

Unless you live under a rock, or simply do not care to subject yourself to today's current events, you know what is going on with the infamous athletic-wear company, Nike, involving Colin Kaepernick.

Colin Kaepernick's name became one known all too well not too long ago when he began the "racial inequality protest" that involved him kneeling during the national anthem before NFL games.

Kaepernick posted on Twitter on Monday, September 3rd a photo of himself with the caption, "Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything."

Shortly after the posting, Nike retweeted the photo introducing consumers to the "multi-year deal" between Kaepernick and the famous company. The former NFL player was the first to start kneeling before games, and the backlash since the deal has been unavoidable.

Many, such as myself, can validly argue that while Kaepernick might have originally had noteworthy intentions; it comes off as exhibiting immense disrespect for our soldiers, the American Flag, and America as a whole.

What exactly are you sacrificing, Mr. Kaepernick?

Your career?

Certainly not, with a brand new deal like this.

The incredible movie, "American Sniper" was released a couple years ago based on the true story of a navy seal, Chris Kyle who spent his time as a sniper on a series of tours in Iraq.

He was a true hero, awarded a Silver Star and four Bronze Star Medals. Kyle ends up having his life taken by a man he happened to be mentoring; his life ended in 2013 but his legacy lives on.

Taya Kyle, Chris' widow spoke out in regards to the Nike controversy, and it was so beautifully worded I felt compelled to share. Taya delivered her personal take on the subject matter to us via Facebook.

Her post reads as follows, "Nike, I love your gear, but you exhaust my spirit on this one. Your new ad with Colin Kaepernick, I get the message, but that sacrificing everything thing…. It just doesn't play out here. Sacrificing what exactly? A career? I've done that both times I chose to stay home and be with my kids instead of continuing my business climb… and it wasn't sacrificing everything. It was sacrificing one career and some money and it was because of what I believe in and more importantly, who I believe in.

At best, that is all Colin sacrificed… some money and it's debatable if he really lost his career over it. Maybe he sacrificed the respect of some people while he gained the respect of others.

This was not even the end of it. Taya proceeds by making examples of people who have truly sacrificed things. After reading her response, I was in complete and utter awe.

Anyone that is comfortable supporting Nike and Kaepernick needs to consider every person who has truly been through the ringer for someone or something. Colin Kaepernick has essentially sacrificed nothing. His name is everywhere, people are STILL endorsing his behavior, and tolerating his lack of respect for OUR nation.

Unless you have the highest level of disrespect for those who have risked their lives for this country, I believe there is no argument to be made here. The National Anthem is a sedimentary basis of American history, and if we keep rewriting history — eventually we will not have one.