Colin Kaepernick Has A Right To Sit Out The National Anthem

Because freedom of speech is not only valid when you agree with what is being said.

17
SportingNews.com

It’s not often that the mere act of choosing to sit or stand causes others to look at us with scorn and outrage. This simple act repeated many times in a day often has no consequences or reactions from others. But when you chose to sit instead of stand when the National Anthem is being played, the result is vastly different. The day Colin Kaepernick decided not to rise for the playing of the National Anthem is the day his life, career, and reputation changed.

When asked why he had chosen not to stand, Kaepernick stated, “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color. To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

Kaepernick was soon plastered across news stations around the nation as people took to social media to voice their outrage at his actions. Many reminded Kaepernick of how fortunate he is to be making a yearly average of 19 million dollars playing in the NFL. Others posted picture of wounded military members and questioned how Kaepernick could sit when so many of our service men and women no longer have the choice to stand.

Let me say this, I do not agree with Kaepernick’s actions. I love my country and I respect those who have fought and given their lives so that my family and I can live in freedom. I come from many generations of military members and understand the sacrifice that takes place on a daily basis to serve our country. I believe there are other ways to communicate your frustration of current events besides dishonoring your countries National Anthem and all that it stands for. I too am frustrated by the lack of respect showed by Colin Kaepernick.

But here’s the thing. Freedom of Speech is not only okay when I agree with what is being said.

Colin Kaepernick lives with a different worldview than I do. He faces different challenges and struggles than I do. If he chooses to stand up for his beliefs by not standing for the National Anthem, then he has every right to do that. No, I do not agree with him, yes, I think he is being disrespectful. But it is his absolute right to sit on that bench for every single note of the Anthem.

When the military goes into battle, wherever it may be, they fight for our freedom to choose. They fight for our freedom to have the right to choose where we go and what we do, who we love and what we believe in. The military does not fight so that everyone will agree with them; they fight for us because they love this country and what it stands for. They fight for our right to stand and honor our flag as the National Anthem is being played, and yes, they fight for Colin Kaepernick’s right to sit on the bench.

If Colin Kaepernick’s actions truly upset you, then stop posting about him. Stop sharing photos or memes or news stories about him. Colin Kaepernick is achieving what he set out to do. He has gained so much media attention and buzz, that his message is spreading across the United States and the world, and that’s exactly what he wanted.

Kaepernick says he is committed to sitting out the National Anthem for the rest of the season and will more than likely encourage other football players to do the same.

My hope is that Kaepernick will soon see the change he hopes for and will again join his teammates in standing as the National Anthem is played. Not only for the good of our country but also for the unity of his team. And my hope is that we as bystanders and Americans can one day come to understand that Kaepernick’s right to free speech is just as valuable as ours.