7 Reasons Why You Should Volunteer With Coaching Corps This Summer

I've been able to make a difference in the lives of kids in my community, and you should too.

52
Megan Turner

Whether you’re taking a lighter course load or no classes at all, the summer is always the best time to get involved with something and give back to your community.

One organization that I’m really passionate about is Coaching Corps. Coaching Corps works to ensure that all kids, no matter where they’re from and regardless of any circumstances, have access to sports. I first got involved with Coaching Corps in 2014 when I saw a post on Facebook for the organization and I’ve volunteered ever since.

Most people you talk to will tell you how sports had a positive impact on them growing up. Whether it’s being part of a team or having an influential coach, sports and after-school activities are a big part of most people’s childhood, but they aren’t always available for kids in under-served communities.

As a volunteer coach with Coaching Corps, you’ll be able to be that positive influence on kids in your community.

1. Experience isn’t necessary.

Coaching Corps provides training and certifies you, and there is always a head coach on site that is there every day with the kids. As long as you have a passion to make a difference in these kids' lives, that’s all you need. After training, you can get your Coaching Certificate too!

I love coaching flag football, but anyone that knows me would assume flag football was out of my range of coaching abilities. Thankfully, I learned everything I needed to know about a sport I've never played from the head coach at the program site when I started.

2. It's a small time commitment.

You get to pick the days you volunteer and it’s usually for an hour or two on those days! During the fall and spring, it's usually after the school day ends for the local schools, but during the summer there are all kinds of opportunities available.

3. It helps builds your character.

I've learned so much about coaching and how to be a good role model, but I've also learned so much about these kids and about myself. I'm not even going to deny the fact that I joined the organization to build my resume, but once I got to the school and became a mentor to the kids I coach, my whole outlook changed.

4. It builds your resume.

Volunteering always looks great on your resume, especially when applying to higher-education programs. Who would have ever thought adding something to your resume would be so fun?

5. It provides job opportunities.

The after-school programs that Coaching Corps works with seem to always be looking for part-time and full-time coaches, and this is a great way to network. There are programs at local and national levels that actively need coaches and mentors.

6. You can coach with a friend.

Do you have a friend that has a similar schedule and wants to help kids? Once you sign up, you’ll be able to pick the same program site to volunteer and start coaching the same sport together.

7. You can give back to kids in under-resourced schools.

Coaching Corps focuses on providing sports to schools in communities that are under-served, and through coaching with Coaching Corps, you can be a mentor to help kids not only become more active but also help them develop life skills.