A Rant About Our Year So Far

A Rant About Our Year So Far

The USA from a well informed teenager's mind.

10
A Rant About Our Year So Far

This year has been pretty rocky for the United States. We have lost 7,676 lives to guns this year, we have had two of the least liked candidates in U.S. history become major party nominees, basic human rights are being taken away and worst of all, I still don't have a boyfriend. 2016 was going to be the year that everything was fixed. We would end gun violence, pick the right government officials, stop the constant hate, negativity and racism and the year I was going to find a boyfriend. While none of these things have yet to happen, I still have hope, and you should too. As a country, we are hurting more than ever. Everyone, white, black, Asian, Mexican, police, doctors, the working class. People are hurting and it's not okay. I'm a huge fan of JFK, and I have several quotes of him on my wall, but the one that I see daily is "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." This quote is the reason that I choose to be in politics, the reason I believe in America and most importantly the reason we can get better. In order to save you the grueling read of my rant, I have broken it down into my thoughts of our year so far.

Donald Trump

Okay, so we have a few things in common. We both have HUGE egos, are a little bit orange, some of your hair is fake and we both want to think we are good with money, but aren't. The things we have don't have in common are that I have a brain, he doesn't, I'm not a racist, he is, I have ethics, he doesn't and I'm bad with money -- oh wait. Remember back in mid-2015 when people were flipping tables because we were about to have another Bush vs. Clinton election? This is the day after the Republican National Convention and we have our nominee. Way to go, Republican party -- you are killing it. We sure as heck did not want that, but now look at us. WAY. TO. BE. Regardless of whether or not you love or hate Donald Trump, his accomplishments should be congratulated. There were 30 other guys that did not blow stuff out of their butt enough to get this far. He is loud, outspoken, rude and really mean, but I mean, what if he does make America great again?

Hillary Clinton

So let me start by saying that I was once a die-hard Hillary Clinton fan. With that being said, people change. I'm not saying she is a bad candidate or that she is not qualified, but low key I want to be the first female president (#riggs2032). However, I get where people might not like her, and that's okay, maybe you don't align with her politically, maybe you think she is corrupt, maybe you still think that Benghazi was her fault. I get it. But look, she did not get here because she has a magic wand. She had to work just like any other candidate. She had an even harder battle. She is a woman. Believe it or not, many people think that women are still not equal to men. So for her just to be standing up on that stage is a big deal. While you might not think she might not be the person for the job, some people do. As a woman in politics, it makes me happy knowing that people are getting behind her.

Gun Violence

It needs to stop now. We have become so numb to it that it truly does not affect us like it should. People are losing their lives because our "leaders" in Congress will not admit we have a problem. We as constituents have the right to a voice, so I urge you, contact your representative or senator. We have to come together as a country to solve this issue. I'm not saying ban all guns, or even the majority of guns -- just for more regulations. As citizens we need to be willing to work with the system to insure our and other people's safety, and if that means you have to wait a little longer to buy a gun so we can avoid another mass shooting, then so be it, and if you think this is the problem, YOU ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. It has to stop. Plain and simple.

Police Officers

You know the saying "There is bad in everything?" That applies to this. NOT ALL OFFICERS ARE BAD. Not even enough to count. To say those that say we don't need police (yes, they say that), please leave. I personally feel safer when there is a police officer present in a situation. I think the majority of people do. They are not there to hurt us, they are there to protect us. I don't quite understand why this concept is so hard to grasp. On the flip side, there are some cases that are undeniably wrong that have occurred. Many of Americans can spot those. They are the ones that you just have a gut feeling that it could have went differently. I do understand that some cases where death has occurred has been out of hate, but it also applies to the officers' lives that were lost in Dallas, Baton Rouge and anywhere else. You cannot tell me that those lives lost were not out of hate. It needs to stop. Racism, hate, murder. All of it.

My Love Life

Really?

While our country is having a rough go of it right now, remember that it happens. But what we can do is pray, send good vibes, thoughts or whatever it is that you believe in or do to our nation, because our world needs that right now. We need to have faith in our country and know that it can and will get better. But as for my love life, it's not looking too good.