Clinton And Trump Battle In Town Hall Style Debate

How did they respond to questions directly from undecided voters?

8
ABC News

The second presidential debate between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton took place last Sunday in St. Louis. As opposed to the traditional debate style this one was a town hall, meaning select audience members would be the ones asking the candidates questions.

One of the first things addressed in the debate was the recording recently made public of Donald Trump making lewd comments about women back in 2005. The media frenzy following the release of this audio ensured that it was weighing heavily on the minds of everyone watching. Donald Trump has certainly made a name for himself when it comes to saying crazy things about women, but these comments certainly take the cake.

When asked about the comments, Trump, doing what the usual politician does, dodged the question. He began his response by apologizing, but then moved on to talking about ISIS and securing our border, saying that there are bigger things to worry about right now.

His opponent however, would have none of it, attacking him on it by saying its more of the same from Trump who has seemingly insulted most of the country, whether it be women, African Americans, Muslims, Latinos, and the list goes on.

The candidates then went on to clash over topics including Russia, ISIS, the war in Syria, taxes and affordable healthcare. However, most of the 90 minute debate seemed focused more on candidates attacking each other than substantive policy discussion.

As hostile and personal as the first debate was, this debate was even worse. This was foreshadowed right from the beginning when the two candidates did not even shake hands as they took the stage.

Throughout the debate, Trump seemed much more focused on attacking Clinton than in the first debate. Clinton on the other hand, kept her composure and instead focused on connecting with the undecided voters in the audience. But she didn't spare the occasional attack as well.

It is unfortunate that these two, with this kind of behavior, are our choices for President. It's indicative of the ridiculous direction politics have taken in our country. However, this debate ended on an unusually positive note. The final audience question came from a man who asked the candidates to "name one positive thing that you respect in one another?"

Clinton responded by saying that she respects his children; "His children are incredibly able and devoted, and I think that says a lot about Donald." Trump responded by thanking her for this compliment, and saying about his opponent "She doesn't quit and she doesn't give up. I respect that. I tell it like it is. She is a fighter. I disagree with much of what she is fighting for, I do disagree with her judgment in many cases, but she does fight hard and doesn't quit and she doesn’t give up, and I consider that a very good trait."