TO CLEANSE, OR SHAKE?

TO CLEANSE, OR SHAKE?

Trying to cleanse when shakes seem to work better.

23
TO CLEANSE, OR SHAKE?
Steve Legato

I’ve recently started this cleanse, yet another attempt to jumpstart my weight loss. A simple elimination cleanse. It started out well, no caffeine, alcohol, or processed foods. Let’s face it, I’m not big on processed foods so that’s no problem. Giving up alcohol is easy, too. I am a social drinker, but going without has never been a problem. The only problem I have is giving up caffeine. I have three kids and almost never sleep. Going without caffeine is like telling a dog never to bark. It is almost impossible, but I gave it up. I hated myself every morning, and I still avoided it.

The first day I focused on cutting out unnecessary things, the second day I gave up meat and eggs, the third I focused on less grain, and the fourth was supposed to be today. But life happened. We had a family party to go to yesterday and I did great. I drank three water bottles, ate the meatless and dairy-free dishes, had very little bread. I did have a slice of cake, but it was a birthday party and the cake was chocolate on top of chocolate sprinkled with shaved chocolate. I can’t say no to that kind of cake. So a small sliver was enjoyed. Life was good. Then my mother had asked to have the kids overnight. Immediately an impromptu night out happened. We went to a bar, I had a healthy dinner, then I had a couple drinks. This morning I wasn’t hungover but very tired, so I had a couple cups of chai tea. Thus commenced the failed attempt to cleanse my body of toxins. I drank alcohol and caffeine. Yay me.

This has been the crux of every diet I have started. It’s fine until the realities of life set in. Spontaneous nights out, birthday parties, kids, school, dogs. The list goes on and never seems to end. Yes, my health is important to me and my family, but it cannot come first. My family comes first. That includes functions and birthday parties as well as the random night out. No, we don’t have to drink to enjoy a night out. But it still is important to unwind and remind yourself that you have friends. For some people, myself included, a little alcohol helps to loosen up the socialization muscles. I don’t go out to get wasted, I have a couple drinks to relax once in a while.

Back to the birthday party. It was an average family affair. So much food they will be eating leftovers for at least a couple weeks. More likely, they will throw all the food out bit by bit enjoying one more taste before it hits the trash can. I hate wasted food. I think that is why I gained so much weight. I save it and make a point to eat leftovers the next day, and the funny part is that I wouldn’t feed the majority to my dogs. So why eat it?

At the party, I noticed that my cousin had lost an impressive amount of weight, I believe he said 30 pounds in 2 months. This intrigued me. That is 6 weeks longer than any quick weight loss diet I have found. I like the timeline the most. It suggests a new habit, a steady habit, something that a successful diet needs to be. Not to mention it obviously works, I mean I was staring at the results. When I demanded to know his secret because who wouldn’t, he politely declined. I mean it was a family party and we have a big family. I just figured that I would get him to tell me about it later. I didn’t get to, but my mother found out that he has been drinking shakes. 2 a day and 1 full meal. After 2 months of that even if I only lost 15 pounds I’d be stoked. Diet and exercise haven’t helped me have such impressive results yet.

After I woke up this morning, I remembered looking at protein shake stuff on Amazon. I faintly remember buying something, but this was after I had decided to have another drink or so after we got home. Long story short, I bought two very different protein shake mixes. One is comparable to Shakeology, Nature's Bounty Optimal Solutions Protein Shake Chocolate, available on Amazon. The other is vegan, Maple Holistics Essential Greens Superfood also available on Amazon (I can’t do dairy).

I laughed at myself seeing the email confirmation. I really just did that. But I figured why not, my health is important to me. Shakes are something that I can use as a meal replacer and still keep up with life. I won't be starving myself nor will I be depriving myself of vitamins, each mix is packed with vitamins and minerals. I won't have to remember to buy something special at the grocery store, I won't berate myself for eating an unhealthy meal because the kids are dying for McDonald’s, and most importantly I won't have to make drastic changes. Only minor ones. So I am going to see if this works.