To Class Of 2020, To Put The Quarantine Into Perspective

To Class Of 2020, From A College Freshman That's Putting Quarantine Into Perspective

Hey, I'm praying for you.

7403
Meredith Prescott

As upset as I am about my freshman year at Alabama ending so soon, I feel for the seniors. I will be the first to admit that I wished my own senior year away. I counted down the days. On the other side of it now though, I miss it. I miss the teachers. I miss the classes. I miss the classwork (trust me, you'll never have that little again). I miss the place. I miss my classmates.

No matter how you feel, below are letters for each viewpoint. Take them as you may.

To the senior that is simply too angry to let other emotions hit,

This was me last Friday when I was sent home from college, so I know the feeling. Bluntly and out of love... Grow up. This is serious. Stay home. Make your health and your family's health a priority. I'm sorry this virus is messing up your plans, but you're not the only one being affected. For the greater health of our community and country, please do as you are told. Thank those in the community who are working so hard to keep us all afloat. Keep our country, state, and city officials in your prayers. Pray hard for those affected. Have some empathy. At some point, the gut-wrenching sadness will hit. When it does, come back and read this article and the new category you fall into. God's plan is greater. As hard as it may be right now, trust it.

To the senior that — like me — wished it away,

Slow down. As stupid as it may sound, enjoy your Zoom classes. You'll miss seeing familiar classes in your lectures. I complained about seeing the same 15 people all day, every day, but I miss those people the most. You'll miss being a simple text away because you've had their number since the day you got a phone. You'll miss making eye contact with your study buddy during the test when you just know that you're both struggling. You'll miss your teacher wishing you luck before the test. You'll miss the pep rallies, the games, the morning announcements, and the lunchroom. You'll miss knowing most people's names. Cherish it. Cheesy... I get it. I didn't want to hear this my senior year, but yours has been cut short and you've been separated too soon.

To the senior that simply wants out of their hometown,

Also was me. Can you tell I was ready for senior year to end? I love where I'm from and am so proud of it, but I wanted something new. I jumped to too many conclusions. Read close when I say this... Be patient. You have the rest of your life to go somewhere else. You'll miss your entire family eating a meal together. You'll miss your mom checking in to make sure you did your homework. You'll meet the best of the best in college, but nothing beats a hometown best friend. You'll miss your parents and grandparents' friends cheering you on at everything whether you know their names or not. You'll miss your support system being just a few streets over. There may be new sights and fun, but eventually, you'll miss that backroad at home that you know all too well. You'll miss your pet. You'll miss your bed. And eventually, you'll miss your sibling. Use this quarantine to spend some quality family time. You'll thank yourself later.

To the senior that thinks they've already peaked or is scared to move on,

You haven't peaked. Don't be scared. Take a breath. Whatever title you acquired in high school will go away, for better or for worse. Like it or not, you're getting a clean slate. Use it. You'll grow so much so fast, and you'll surprise everyone the first time you come home (which shouldn't be every weekend, sorry moms!). Use this time to force yourself to branch out and connect with others from other places that will be attending the same college as you. You'll make new friends and find ways to keep the old no matter where they go for college or careers. You'll meet new people and you will survive. You can make a new name for yourself, also for better or for worse. That's a promise. Don't let anyone criticize the decisions you make concerning your schooling- change your major, change schools, do the unexpected. It's OK. There's still a future outside of high school. Read that again.

To the senior that has no clue what's next,

You're also OK, but you can step it up. You now have extra time to get it together now. Thank you quarantine! Take advantage of this time and do some soul searching. It's time to grow up and decide. I bet you really didn't want to hear that from someone else, but it's serious. Pray about it and trust the process. Apply for scholarships! Take the money you're offered! Apply for programs! Go for it all and take what you can get! Don't settle just because you think you have to.

To the senior athlete that doesn't have a foreseeable season,

I'm sorry. Truly. Turn in your senior spotlight stuff to your school. They're trying to make it better the only way they know how. Be appreciative of the time you've had. Take the time to reach out to the underclassmen to give advice and thank them. They looked up to you. Call your teammates, they're the best support system you'll ever have. Make relationships with your coaches, they love you. I still love my coaches and would do anything they asked of me, knowing they would do the same. I may not be in contact with everyone from school, but my teammates are the first on the list when I need a good laugh or to shed a few tears. The world isn't ending, even though it seems like it is. You will survive and college is coming soon whether you continue the sport or not.

To the senior that is just not over that canceled event,

I feel for you. Really. It's hard, and you were banking on those memories. You were ready to put on your prom dress or tux. You were ready for senior skip day. You were ready for your goodbye speech. You were ready to all but skip across the graduation stage. I'm so sorry you're missing it. I know it sucks. Just know that your school is working hard to accommodate for these losses. Even if plans fail, put on your dress, appreciate your newfound free time, read your speech to family, and keep in contact with your classmates. You will be stronger because of this, and college will bring opportunities for all new memories. Do your part to end this pandemic and practice social distancing and good hygiene until this all passes. Hopefully, it will be soon, so your plans can be rescheduled. And if not, He is still good. These events will not be the best day(s) of your life.

I hope you heard what you needed in this rough time. Stay healthy and work to make the best of this time.

Class of 2020, I'm praying for you. :)