Classical Theism

Classical Theism

Understanding God's Attributes

61
Classical Theism

Classical Theism

What is Classical Theism? Classical theism is the divine attributes, and if any of the divine attributes are left out, the statements would not be true. To make this as simple as possible: attributes are what make God who he is. Within the attributes there are two classifications which are communicable, meaning shared by us; and incommunicable, meaning not shared by us (only from God). While digging deeper into God’s Attributes, the specific attributes to be covered are: God is ever-present, God is sovereign, and God is merciful.

God is Ever-Present

When hearing God is ever-present, might seem impossible to some, but when saying he is ever-present this means that God never leaves your side. He is with you through the darkest of times. Some may argue if he is with you then how is he also with me? (Ps 139:9-12) “If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me, and the light become night around me,” even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.” In Psalm 139:9-12 God expresses his everlasting presence in our life. God is mighty but also powerful with every single person. There are several places in scripture that support that our God is ever present, each scripture reference gives a different viewpoint. In Matthew 28:20 God promises “surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” But also in Hebrews 13:5 God has a similar promise “Never will I leave you: never will I forsake you.” In everyday sinful nature, we as human will ultimately “forsake” a friend or family member for doing something so small. What would life be like if we didn't forsake each other for the smallest stuff? If God were to forsake us for sinning this world would not be in existence. Understanding that there is not a place in the world that you can hide or ever flee from his presence is such a wonderful feeling. This is one of the many marvelous attributes of our Heavenly Father.

God is Sovereign

Everything happens for a reason. An average human being doesn't know the power behind that phrase. It is a phrase that is used very often for reasons like heartbreak, pain, and not being successful. Do people know what they are referring to when they say that? Often this comes out of my mouth, but not all the times when it comes out of my mouth do I refer it back to God’s sovereignty. In Job 37:13 God says, “Whether for correction or for his land or for love, he causes it to happen.” This verse is explaining the common phrase in a way that it points it all back to him. In the world many times the people who say that they are a Christ follower don’t even know the definition of a “Christ follower” Proverbs 19:21 says, “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.” In order to do God’s will we, as his people, have to let go of all our selfish wants and fully submit to doing his will. When following through with God’s Will the journey might not be as comfortable and enjoyable as you expect it to be, but doing God’s will always end up with something way more rewarding than the trial (Learning a lesson or a physical reward). God’s sovereignty is often overlooked because we are not able to physically see him working in our lives. Non-Christians don't have the ability to experience God’s sovereignty because they are often too caught up in finding the reason something happened. These people are unsuccessful because they don't have a personal relationship with God.

God is Merciful

“God is the master of mercy. His very nature desires to relieve you of the self-imposed misery and distress you experience because of your sin” (Discover God). When Christians or even non-believers go about in daily lives sometimes they don't recognize that the groups, conversations, or just thoughts that they have, are not befitting their relationship with God. Personally, as a Christian, I find it very hard to show mercy, but in the Bible it says in Matthew 5:7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive." When we are amongst trials and so caught up in life being able to know that God has already shown mercy in advance is an automatic comfort. The Lord comforts His people and will have compassion on His afflicted ones”(Isaiah 49:13).“To experience God’s mercy, you must repent of your sin and accept God’s forgiveness.” Daniel 9:9 says “The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him." In the sinful world we live in it is often very hard to live a sinless walk that is completely honoring to God. We are human, and it is God’s mercy to forgive.

Credits

Psalms. The ESV Study Bible. Wheaton Illinois: Crossway, 2011. Print.

Matthew. The ESV Study Bible. Wheaton Illinois: Crossway, 2011. Print.

Hebrews. The ESV Study Bible. Wheaton Illinois: Crossway, 2011. Print.

Job. The ESV Study Bible. Wheaton Illinois: Crossway, 2011. Print.

Proverbs. The ESV Study Bible. Wheaton Illinois: Crossway, 2011. Print.

Staff, CCC. "God's Character." Discover God. Bright Media Foundation, 2007. Web. 17 Sept. 2016.