To The Clandestine Artist

To The Clandestine Artist

Someone will eventually wave back at you as you wave through a window.

179

Clandestine Artists of the World,

I understand what you're going through. You may be running out of topics to write about, ideas for photoshoots, inspiration for a song, or even confused because you can't decide whether you actually want to be an artist or not; I get it. Art has never been something people are open about, especially to people who don't understand the beauty in art; the inspiration, the process, and the end result. Only creatives know what this is like and they also know that it's not an easy process.

If you're juggling between being a creative and letting that creativity free-flow like a river or conforming to what your friends like or what your family is telling you to do, let me enlighten you with some words: it's your life, live it your way and do not conform. Conformity is the worst thing that a creative can do because you're giving up your edge. If you "decide" that the artistic life isn't for you because you're letting people's opinions change your mind, are you even a creative?

Creatives don't stop creating from one setback, no matter the severity. Football players play through injuries (if they're allowed) and golfers have to work on their swing day after day after a bad game, so what makes you so special to be secretive about your creativebug? Are you ashamed to be creative and innovative?

You may not like the music that your generation listens to and you may enjoy classes that specialize in music, Broadway, and film while your friends don't enjoy it so much. Don't let these influences change your path because the world needs creatives to help create a better tomorrow. Ha, see what I did there?

I was a secret creative in high school and I was almost ashamed of my creativity and the gifts that I was blessed with, but then I realized that I wanted to get the Choral Arion Award in my graduating class, so I had to start being more open creativity and express myself more, which paid off because I was chosen to be the student director of my senior year musical revue and I was awarded the Arion Award, so needless to say, that just elevated my love for performing more. When I got to college, I met people who share the same feelings I have about musicals, theatre, and literature, but I'm not ditching my other friends because they don't understand the excitement I feel when expressing my opinions or showing interest in something artistic. You can't help that you're an artist, so you may as well embrace it.

Sincerely,

A former clandestine artist