Civil Service And What It Means To Young People

As a nation, we can fix the lack of interest in voting.

15
stoohio.org

During the 20th Century, civil service was a proud way for any citizen to become a patriot a serve their country by taking part in the elections. People flocked to their respective polling places and were eager to vote on candidates and current issues. In a democracy, the privilege of voting is an honor given to all citizens and allows for the people's voice to be heard.

Since then, a new age of democracy in the United States has led to a drastic decline in participation, as well as general interest, in political matters. Some may say that the meaning of civil service has been grayed and most young people have forgotten how to serve their country by participating in politics. This coming election year will be the first in my lifetime where I will be able to vote for the next President of the United States. It is at this point in time I prepare myself for which candidate will best provide for the country. Being bipartisan in politics is one of my gifts; I vote either way, depending on my views towards a certain subject. This type of voting tends to be lost on the basis that the media has been a great influence on the current generation's political views.

Many factors have gone into the loss of interest in civil service, which has caused a significant decline. The issue that this article is addressing is the awareness of how civil service actually affects the American population, and what has happened as a result of it becoming a less talked about issue.

The reason I am addressing this issue in the public eye is to inform everyone that this has become an even bigger issue in terms of the current election coming up soon. As a patriot, I have been voting since I signed up when I was 18 and have been fulfilling the what is, in my mind, a civil service that I am entitled to do as a patriot. Patriotism and civil service go hand in hand and have shown me that the American people's voice can matter. The number of people who feel that their vote doesn't count grows higher each year.

I have a very simple philosophy about this; if we regain what the term civil service means for the sake of opinions and voting, then we can provide enough people with a reason to vote and participate in civil services. The awareness of this issue is already on the rise and at some point America as a whole will realize what needs to be done.