Why You Should Stop Smoking Cigarettes

It’s 2019, If You’re Still Smoking Cigarettes You’re An Idiot

The time to quit is now.

494
https://unsplash.com/photos/9T6W31pUG0s

I don't care if it's cool. I don't care how good it tastes or how good it feels. I don't even care if you think it looks cool for a picture. IT'S NOT WORTH IT.

Every single part of your body is harmed when you smoke a cigarette. Cigarette smoking is the cause of many diseases and decreases the overall health of an individual who engages in the act.

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, cigarette smoking is the leading preventative cause for death in the United States. Giving up smoking may be difficult for those who crave a puff or two every now and then, but it can add years to your life. One in every five deaths is caused by smoking. Imagine how much lives can be saved if the butt was put out for good.

Lung cancer deaths are related to cigarette smoking. As a matter of fact, more women die from lung cancer than breast cancer. But that doesn't mean that men are safe from the risks of smoking cigarettes. Smoking increases the death risk for men and women, and it doesn't discriminate either.

Your airways and air sacs in your lungs are damaged when you take a quick smoke break. Cancer can also develop in places all around your body, not just your lungs. Your bladder, liver, kidneys, cervix, colon, rectum, blood, pancreas, and stomach can all be affected by smoking, as well. You might think that it wouldn't happen to you, but why chance it?

If everyone in the United States stopped smoking, then one in three deaths by cancer would not happen.

Women who are trying to conceive may experience difficulty if they smoke cigarettes and risk harming the baby before and after they are born. Sperm can also be affected by smoking, reducing fertility and sperm count and can also cause birth defects and miscarriage.

Bones can become brittle and weak, teeth and gums are not as healthy, and vision and immune function can decrease. Your body can suffer from these harsh consequences just from not kicking a habit that isn’t healthy at all.

I’m not just saying this to scare you. I’m saying it because it’s true. There are countless programs and organizations that advocate for young adults and even those who are deep in the habit to see how smoking can affect your life and the quality of it.

I know you see the ads on Snapchat or the commercials of the puppets on TV while you’re watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians. Next time those messages pop up, maybe you should pay attention to what they’re saying.

Your body doesn’t deserve this treatment. You deserve a long, happy, and healthy life. Don’t you want to grow old with your S. O. and sip on Arnold Palmer’s on your front porch? If you’re still not thinking about quitting smoking, then maybe you should really think about it.