Christmas: What it Means to Me

Christmas: What it Means to Me

Cookies, Ugly Sweaters, Music, Candy Canes and a partridge in a pear tree.

18
Christmas: What it Means to Me
Christmas in New York 2016

12 Things that make the holiday season merry and bright.

1. Snow

I know there are many people who fully support summer in all its glory and complain until it comes back, so this one can be very debatable. Especially for those who drive and have to deal with weather conditions for a living. you can’t tell me it doesn’t make you smile when you wake up the morning after a snowfall and see a gorgeous, untouched sheet of white along your backyard.

2. Christmas Cookies

There’s just something about breaking out all of your baking gear and going full Rachel Ray on a batch of cookies. Whether they’re sugar, chocolate chip, peanut butter, some macadamia nut flavor, whatever you like. Of course, there is nothing better than those cookies that grandma makes shaped like Santa's and saying the recipe is a “secret and will stay a secret forever!”

3. Tree Lightings

Gathering around a community tree and counting down the minutes until the fateful moment that it lights up the night until Christmas day. Christmas carols being sung or rang through speakers, hot chocolate being served from a small tent, it just seems like something you’ve waited all year for. And who could forget the most iconic tree lightings? Rockefeller and of course, the National Christmas Tree!

4. Christmas Movies

Whether you find your movies on your local channels or watch religiously on Freeform (previously ABC Family) or Hallmark (which is the best deal because they start right after Halloween and they do not mess around!). Whether they are new or classic Christmas movies they all make me feel the same way, ready for the holidays. But of course, who could forget the classics? Everyone had a soft spot for the classics especially, the Peanuts specials. The classics range from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer, Frosty, The Grinch, and The Year Without a Santa Claus, etc. just to name a few.

5. Ugly Sweaters

Yep, I’m talking about those sweaters that you see come up on your Facebook, Twitter, Instagram feed and find yourself laughing at for twenty straight minutes. Who ever started the market for Christmas sweaters is a genius, there are so many puns that are made and they just make the season that much more comical. Things like “Fleece Navidad” with a sheep, “All the Jingle Ladies!” on a sweater full of bells, or a sweater with a lone elf on it wearing sunglasses and the punchline,“Ganster Wrapper!” on it.

6. Christmas Flavored Coffees/Frappuccinos

From Dunkin Donuts to Starbucks the run down of holiday coffees and frappuccinos is like a magical drug. From snickerdoodle to candy cane, if you truly want to get into the spirit just take a drink.

7. Decorations & Lights

I can’t help but light up myself when I drive down my street and see houses decked out in lights everywhere, light up deers, seeing trees through the windows of the neighborhood, seeing the candles in the windows, placed ever so neatly on the window sill and inflatable santas, polar bears,anything.

8. Gingerbread Houses

No matter how bad your gingerbread house might turn out, it’s all about the experience you have while building it. Whether it’s with your family, brother, sister, best friend, whoever, it’s all about the fun that you have in the creation and either way, the icing and the walls taste great!

9. Family Traditions

It’s truly the little things around the holiday season that make it worthwhile. Things like, having the youngest member of your family put the star/angel on top of the tree, driving to the same tree farm every year in the middle of nowhere and hunting for hours to find the perfect tree, having a gigantic yankee swap at your house, having everyone gather at your house in celebration etc. Every family is different and has their own way of doing things at the holidays and that’s what makes each one unique and nice.

10. Ice Skating

Of course, even though it’s in the single digits and your ability to be able to skate doesn’t matter. You’ll make your way onto the ice and whether or not you fall ten times or zero, you will sacrifice all your dignity to being in the holiday spirit.

11. Coming Together

Just like that Christmas song says, no matter how far away you roam, you’ll always come back to where you truly feel welcome. No matter what happens in your life, you’ll always have that special bond with those who love you. Coming together as a family, whatever that may mean to you is so important during the holidays, it gives you time to be thankful for what you have.

12. Christmas Music

Do you hear what I hear? Christmas music, everywhere! There’s nothing like going out and hearing the best of Michael Buble, Mariah Carey (festive & extra festive), or Celine Dion. No matter where you go, restaurants, shopping malls or even your own home, Christmas music has always been there to lift our spirits and make us smile.