A Christmas Reflection

A Christmas Reflection

Let me sit on my holiday-themed soap box for a second.
114

With Christmas less than a week away, I think it's a perfect time to stop and take a moment to reflect. I think every year people get a little less excited for Christmas. I see less houses decorated, hear less songs on the radio, and see less people genuinely looking forward to what is, in my opinion, the best time of year. Why does this happen? The meaning of Christmas has been the same for literally thousands of years, so why is it that people seem to enjoy it a little bit less every year.

I can't pretend to understand why things are the way they are anymore. What I can do is affect the people around me. I can try to spread a little extra happiness, especially when it seems like someone needs it. I can try and spend a little extra time with my family and friends, the people I love. I can reach out to people who really need it. There are so many ways to spread "holiday cheer" or "Christmas spirit" or whatever you want to call it; it's kindness that needs to be spread.

If this year has taught us anything, it's how fast things can change. Remember the importance of spending time with the ones you love. There's no better time to do that than the holidays. I love Christmas, and really every holiday, because my family gets together whether they like it or not. Once we're all together, everything else in the world seems to not matter as much. It's one time of year that everyone is forced to come together. You might as well make the best of it.

While enjoying the extra quality time with your family and friends, remember that Christmas is not about you. Christmas was never meant to be a selfish holiday, no matter what you believe. A lot of people fall into the trap of constantly worrying about themselves. I think one day of the year we could all take a break from those thoughts and focus on what's truly important.

As much as I can't wait for Christmas, I'm going to be sad when it's over. Christmas has always been one of my favorite holidays simply because it makes people happy. If that goes away then we're defacing the true meaning of Christmas as it is. A celebration of the most joyous day in the world should be just that. I'm not about to let anyone take that away from me.