Lifetime Christmas Movies May Give Us The Holiday Spirit Or Remind Us How Alone We Are

A christmas movie called The Lifetime Channel

91
Auto Straddle

During this time of year, we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ (kind of, depends on who you ask!). We celebrate gift-giving, family, decorating, etc. But have you ever noticed when Christmas, or just fall in general comes around, the Lifetime channel starts showing all of these Christmas movies like clockwork? And they’re not regular movies, they’re Christmas movies with a twist...they’re romance movies.

I know what you’re thinking! Why does this matter? For some reason, Christmas movies are what puts us in the holiday mood. We all know Lifetime is known for the romantic movies. It’s a fact! No matter what holiday or month it is, they show romance movies all day, every day. Every once in a blue moon we might catch something different, but it’s mostly a channel dedicated to romance. Lifetime literally profits off of romance.

These Lifetime Christmas movies are about finding your one true love (who happens to be very good looking), getting your dream job, everything works out for you, and let’s not forget the Christmas miracle. See, the problem is that I’m single! Or kind of single...the jury is still out on that one!

Anyway, these Lifetime movies are messing me up, knowing darn well that I’m going to be alone this Christmas watching a damn lifetime movie. FYI, I have 4 already recorded on my DVR and I’m totally excited to watch them. Lifetime movies prey on women like me, and it’s not right.

The reason Lifetime movies make me mad is that they always make it seem like no matter what, by Christmas or New Year’s, things will work out. And a little part of me wants to believe that. Actually, a huge part of me wants everything that Lifetime movies promise. How can I not, I’m a sucker for romance and happy endings? Especially the wonders of a Christmas miracle!

(ha ha did you like how I roped that one in!)

For me, Christmas time is the one time in the year where I believe anything is possible. I don’t know if it’s the kid in me that believes that or something else. But it gives me hope and the Lifetime channel just makes it worse for me. I know, what's so bad about hope? Nothing!

Can lifetime make a real-life movie based off say me! Single 29-year-old, unemployed struggling student? Not so Christmas like, is it? It's not realistic for things to suddenly work out perfectly. Aka getting a job, graduating and everything else that is wrong with my life suddenly all good. And also, somehow finding the love of my life at the same time? All by Christmas or New Years. Oh please….

I know I’m stretching it because these movies are not supposed to be “realistic.” But it would be nice to watch a Christmas movie by Lifetime with someone in the same exact position that I’m in. I don’t know if that would be a good movie or not. Heck Lifetime may even lose money…

I guess I wish these Lifetime movies were real. Hell, maybe they are real! Maybe there are people who live these Lifetime Christmas movies. I just haven’t met anyone it's ever happened to.

I just realized another problem with Lifetime movies, in general, is there’s not enough diversity at all. There’s a movie here and there with a person of color. But mainly all of the movies I’ve come across, the main characters are white, with a quirky friend who happens to be a person of color (wow, I think I just explained the film industry in whole).

I guess what I'm saying is, "Lifetime, can you just calm down with all the Christmas romance? You're causing me physical pain here!"

(I'm still going to watch, though)