10 Thought-Provoking Journaling Prompts for the Christmas Season

It's the most wonderful time of the year to reflect.

84
Personal photo

I was recently listening to the Barstool podcast Pardon My Take, in which they had Matthew McConaughey on as a guest. The iconic actor just came out with a book, in which he references his personal journal, one that he's kept for the majority of his life. He expresses how grateful he is to have had these thoughts from all different seasons of his life written down, and uses his entries throughout his book. All I'm saying is, if a person as wonderful (and handsome) as Matthew McConaughey swears by keeping a journal, why wouldn't you? Jotting down your thoughts can only enhance your growth as a person, and what better time of year to get started on this awesome habit? Set the tone for 2021 right. Here are some fun Christmas prompts to get your mind stirring.

What does Christmas mean to you?

Christmas can mean something different to everyone, for everyone has altered experiences of the holiday. Reflecting on this will push you to enjoy the holiday for what it is from your perspective.

What is your favorite childhood Christmas memory?

I feel that everyone has at least a few notable memories from December 25th that stand out in their mind. Maybe it was Christmas in 6th grade, when you finally got your own cell phone, or maybe it was your 21st Christmas, when you finally were old enough to drink with your family.

If you could spend Christmas anywhere, and with anyone, where would you go and who would it be with?

Although my ideal Christmas revolves around spending time at home in snowy Wisconsin with my family, I have to admit I wouldn't be opposed to spending the day on a tropical island with my boyfriend. What do you think?

What is your favorite holiday recipe?

Christmas is the sweetest time of the year. My mind immediately goes to Christmas cookies, specifically homemade gingerbread cookies, but there are limitless holiday treats out there.

Write a letter to your childhood self, the one who still believed in Santa Claus.

Ahh, what a magical time to be alive, when you still believed in the absolute magic that is Santa Claus. Write a letter to yourself, possibly with advice for your younger self, or simply well wishes to simply enjoy the holiday and all it encompasses when you're a child.

What are you most looking forward to this holiday season?

The week between Christmas and New Year's is always one of my favorite times of year, partially because my birthday resides in that time span. There is so much to look forward to!

What are you hoping to receive as a gift this Christmas?

Let's state the obvious: we all love receiving gifts. Christmas gifts are a symbol of love and appreciation, no matter who they're from. (Even if it's from yourself. LOL. Self-love is an important love.) It's okay to be excited about presents. They're made for all ages of people, not just kids.

Which gift are you most excited about giving this Christmas? Why?

While I love receiving gifts, I love giving gifts more. Seeing the look on the person's face when they open up that present that you spent weeks hiding, thrilled for that quick moment of them finally seeing what you've gifted to them. Let me tell you, my family members are in for a treat with their gifts this year. I can hardly contain my excitement!

Make a bucket list of Christmas-themed activities.

Write down everything you wish to do to celebrate the holiday season, and it doesn't have to all be done this year. This list could mean anything from going sledding with your best friend, to spending the holiday in snow-clad Switzerland with your family someday. Expand your jolly imagination.

Write down everything that makes Christmas special to you.

Opening presents on Christmas morning with my siblings, getting drunk with my aunts and uncles on Christmas Eve, enjoying that leisurely Christmas morning breakfast spread, etc. Christmas is made up of all the little things that you don't necessarily get to experience any other time of the year, and that's what makes it so special.

Cozy on up by the fireplace and get your mind and pen movin' with these journal prompts. Wishing you the most joyous of holiday seasons!