Why Has My Christmas Changed?

Why Has My Christmas Changed?

"I want that laid back, happy Christmas I’ve always had."
Adrian
Adrian
16

I am currently a college freshman, and I am home for the holidays. The only thing I can think about is how this break is nothing like my past Christmas breaks. Where is the excitement and merriness I used to experience? I want it back. The sad part is, as you get older everything changes, whether it's holidays, laws, family, friends, etc.; but everything changes.

The thing is I am not sure if I have changed or it is society as a whole. I feel like the idea of happiness and joy that surrounded Christmas when I was younger has been swept up and replaced with mayhem, tension and aggravation. When I was a kid, Christmas started the moment Christmas music played on the radio on midnight of Black Friday. But now it has changed to where it is okay for people to skip out on their holiday meals on Thanksgiving to go shopping, and Christmas music starting weeks before Thanksgiving. Our society has taken Christmas to a new level of craziness, but it is not in the people’s best interest.

Honestly, Christmas is my favorite day of the year, but now I don’t know if that feeling is the same. It was my favorite because it is that one day of the year where everyone relaxes, hangs out, and is simply happy to be in the company of one another. Christmas is that day where everything stops and everyone replaces the sadness with joy and merriness. Becoming an adult takes some of the enjoyment out of Christmas; I want that laid back, happy Christmas I’ve always had, but only God knows if it will happen this year. Merry Christmas.