Merry Christmas, To My Angels Who Left Us Far Too Soon

"You may be gone from my sight, but you are never gone from my heart." — Winnie The Pooh.

111

To my Angels up in Heaven,

I miss you every day. Not a day goes by that you do not cross my mind, and I wonder how my life would be different if you were still alive. I think of the Sunday family barbecues that you would have been at, just after seeing you at Church earlier in the day. I think if you were here to see me graduate from high school, graduate from college. I think of the card games we would have played and Judge Judy we would have watched (while you 'rested your eyes' on the couch).

I miss you every day, but I miss you a bit extra around Christmas. It just does not feel the same without you around. Now, there are empty seats in the pew at Church. There are open chairs around the dinner table. There are fewer presents sitting under the tree. There are fewer hugs and kisses to give at the end of the night. There is a little less joy in the air.

I never imagined you would be gone. I pictured coming home from college and having Christmas with you. I imagined bringing my hypothetical husband and kids over for Christmas festivities. I thought you would be there through it all.

Now, you are my Angels who left us far too soon.

I know you are here with us — while we pick out the tree, while we hang up the ornaments, while we got to Christmas mass, while we say Grace around the table. However, it just is not the same.

Part of me wishes I knew that our last Christmas together would be the last so that I could cherish it even more. The other part of me knows that that could have been even harder.

This Christmas, while we are enjoying the joy of the holiday season, look down on us and know that our hearts are aching with love for you. Please know that, with every Christmas tradition and festivity we do, we know that you are there with us in spirit.

I love you and miss you more than you could ever know.

Love always,

You granddaughter on earth.