Christianity Done Wrong: A Message To My Fellow Believers

What are we doing? We're doing it wrong!

19
Just Flow Blog

There's really no fluffy way to ease into this one, y'all. So, I'll just get straight to the point here. I'm a Christian woman. From the South. I love God, man. I really do. God and I have a relationship that surpasses all others in my life and I deeply encourage everyone to make an attempt in genuinely seeking Him before throwing in the towel. Am I upset if you don't? Nah. Do I "judge" you otherwise? No.

While others vehemently disagree that He exists based on sorts of research (convo for another day, boo!), we can agree to disagree and move on. On the other hand, many millennials disagree mostly based on the fact that the church has hurt them before. I said CHURCH. Not God. When I say "church" I'm referring to the entire people who follow Christ, not exactly the building...but if thinking of the building itself helps paint the picture then go for it! They've been judged, they've been ridiculed, they've been condemned. They are hurt. For that, I am so sorry! Let me take a chance to address my fellow believers because if we're causing all this hurt then I'm not sure we're doing it right. In my own opinion, Christianity has been done wrong in a few ways...

We Love to Condemn

Now, there is a time and place to admonish your peers for doing/saying something out of character; Admonishing and condemning are two different things and even God doesn't condemn! Condemn means to express complete disapproval [in public] OR to sentence to punishment. Who are WE? To condemn? Let me look in John 3:17 which states "For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through Him." Bloop. Where does it say we have the right? And where does it say that He condemns? We must do better. We're so busy telling everyone else what they are doing wrong instead of reflecting the love we "believe" God has asked us to reflect. We can't hurt folks then wonder why they don't understand what we're saying and believing. Period.

We Aren't Teaching What's Real

I haven't been to many churches where I've heard them teaching the Word wrong, but I've heard my peers repeat it incorrectly. For instance, the use of Hell. Personally I'm protestant by definition so I understand that Catholics have a different belief of hell; I'll speak on what I believe. Hell is real. That's not a mis-step in the Word. The false-ness is telling people which sins are eligible for a sentencing to hell and which are not. Our sins are not weighted (Matthew 12:31) Why are we telling people where they are headed? Who are we? What do we know? Mind your business! That is between him/her and God. Our sins are still sins, just because yours are not the same doesn't make them less than what they are. I read the same book you do and mine outlines ONE specific sin that determines your afterlife (hint: It's not homosexuality). We need to be better at relaying truth and not something that sounds half right when it's a whole wrong. Spreading false gospel is turning people away instead of perhaps encouraging them to make different choices.

You Ain't Been Saved All Your Life!

BLOOP. I did not lie. To "piggyback" on what was mentioned above, we have not been saved all of our lives, and some of us aren't truly "saved." So, before we go pointing out the dust in our neighbors eye lets look at the plank in our own. Have some grace because God gives you that. He lets you mess up 9,240,345,124 times a day and still loves you. He still feels the same way he did before you did that. He still blesses you. I know we aren't God, but we need to remember that we aren't perfect. So, give people a little grace and mercy. God meets you where you are, who are you not to do the same for others?

No Alignment

Now, He grants you grace but that isn't necessarily a ticket to just do whatever. Folks looking at us like we're crazy because we SAY we believe something then do the entire opposite. That's crazy. This whole concept can go another way but that's a convo for another day, too. We are not perfect, but at times we aren't striving to be in alignment with our beliefs either. Simply acknowledging that you are not perfect while striving to be better than you were yesterday is all it takes. They can't believe in you if you don't believe in you. Perhaps our efforts to spread the Word of God would be better digested if it were believable in our actions.

We Don't Love

End of the day, I like to let my love speak for itself when it comes to my beliefs. I don't always get it right but I truly want to embody a pure love that shines through all I do. We all should. God said first and foremost to love your neighbor. He clearly outlined that to know Him you must love His children. If someone else does not believe what we believe that is OKAY! You don't need to mistreat, ridicule, or ostracize that person. Love them anyway. Because you should regardless. You catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Be kind. Have mercy. Show grace. Continue to let God use you.

That's just me, though. Some may read this and disagree. Some may read this and snap their fingers in a "z" formation. That's cool. I love all y'all. Because He loves me. I just wanted to share what was on my heart.

Pack light, y'all.