Life As A Christian Feminist

Life As A Christian Feminist

Jesus? Yup. Justice? Yup.

26
Life As A Christian Feminist
wgsmtl.wordpress.com

This is dedicated to the dumb boy who called me a “femi-nazi.” If you’re wondering, that is why I never texted you back.

I am a devout Christian. I also consider myself a feminist. Yes, you heard me correctly. I can live a life in relationship with Jesus while upholding the crazy notion that women are people who deserve equity. I am not an anomaly—you won’t be either.

I once believed that, to be a “good Christian,” I had to condemn anyone who went against any teaching of the Bible. The book says a lot of things and it says its fair share about the role of a woman—we’ll get to that later.

As I have matured in my faith, I have learned a thing or two. I strive to be as Christ-like as possible, while remembering that God holds all rights to judgment. The very nature of my being is as a sinner. However, thanks to the wonderful gift that was Jesus’s life on the cross, not only am I forgiven; I am His beloved. With that said, I must follow suit and love my brothers and sisters as Jesus did. One way I love is by supporting them, humbly.

My faith has taught me a large portion of humility which, in turn, helped my decision to be a feminist. I am humble enough to know that the feminism I believe in fights for issues beyond just me. The feminism I believe in supports the 2.78 million men in the U.S. who have been victims of sexual assault or rape. The feminism I believe in supports the 2.5 million people around the world who are forced into sex slavery. The feminism I believe in supports the women whose backs are breaking for the dimes they earn for every dollar a man does. The feminism I believe in supports all people trapped between the pillars of society.

In the grand scheme of things, didn’t God make us in His image? Would a God full of love and grace purposefully exile out half of his creation based on gender? I don’t think so. Based on the writings of the Bible, however, He did create us differently. And yes, the Word calls women to submit to their husbands. I support that completely. I do not support the fact that such a teaching has taken over every aspect of human life. Allowing my (very distant future) husband to be the spiritual head of my household will be a decision I make.

I believe a woman should be able to choose; she can choose to be a stay-at-home mom or a CEO— no person or institution should choose that for her. Jesus did not say, "Blessed rather are those men who hear the word of God and obey it." Nope. Jesus did not specify gender. Jesus taught that we can all follow the path God has for us.

So to the boy who warned me against being a “femi-nazi,” please know that I am proud of my identity.