I Am A Christian, But I Am Not A...

I Am A Christian, But I Am Not A...

Fighting stereotypes faced by the modern Christian.

65
I Am A Christian, But I Am Not A...
Zazzle.com

The second I tell someone I'm a Christian, they usually think one of two things. 1. "Oh, cool! Me too." or 2. "Oh, this person is a ___." Now that blank is something that has destroyed relationships and caused many problems over my life. I would like to tell you that whatever you put in that blank is probably wrong.

I am a Christian but I am not...

Homophobic.

One of the biggest judgments I face is that once people hear "Christian," they think that I hate all LGBTQ persons. I will tell you, this is not true. How contradicting would it be for me to preach and listen to Jesus saying, "Love all and treat all equal" while I'm degrading some else for their sexuality? Mark 12:30-31, "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these." This verse is kinda important. This verse is very clear: Love your neighbor. Love your gay neighbor, your black one, your female one. Very clear. Much clearer than another verse that many get hung up on.

Leviticus 18:22, "You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination." What? This is not clear. Lie? Lay? So man can't hug a man? One can't live their life so to be happy? This one unclear verse should not define me as a Christian.

I'm a Christian, but I am not homophobic.

Just a person that goes to church.

In the world we live in a lot of people do things for show. I am going to honest, there are people that just go to church to be, well, seen in church. It is sad, and disappointing. Being a Christian is way more than just showing up on Sunday. Being a Christian is about living it every day, it's in the way you treat others, how and when you read scripture, and in your morals/decisions. Being a Christian should be for yourself. If you are doing it for other people, you are doing it for the wrong reasons. I will be honest again, I have missed church before, I know I know, it is a surprise. But humans have lives, life gets in the way. It is fine.

I am a Christian, but I am not just a person the goes to church.

Ultra-conservative.

All Christians are Conservative. Another untrue assumption. But the sad reality is some think this is a fact. I am sure you can gather from above that I am not super conservative. This does not mean I am liberal, however. The majority of my morals and ideas are based out of my religion, but not all. You now know where I stand on gay rights. If you read my previous article, "Less Talking, More Listening," you would know I advocate for equality as well. I do not agree with all things stated in The Bible. I do not agree with all things Donald Trump says. I do not agree with all the things Hilary Clinton says. I have created my life based off of my experiences.

I am a Christian, but not an ultra-conservative.

Perfect.

This is going to be a shock: I am not perfect. No Christians are. No one is. I make mistakes. I have doubts. Everyone does, that's what makes us humans, and it is okay. Somewhere, at some point this perception that Christians think they are perfect and flawless was created. I do not know where this comes from or how this was formed. I sin. Many people in The Bible sin. It happens. And then, Jesus forgives, it is all okay. There is no need to strive for perfection. You will not achieve it. Try, and then fail. Make a mistake, then get forgiven.

I am a Christian, but I am not perfect.

Please do not stray away from conversations with me when you find out I am a Christian. I may not believe all the things you think I believe. Ask me questions. Try me, test me. I am not the only one who feels this way. There are many that have become tired of fighting off these stereotypes. But me minded the opposite is true. There are Christians in the world that are "good" Christians that would disagree with me. And that is OK.

I am a Christian, but I am not what you think.