Why I Chose Journalism

Why I Chose Journalism

47
Why I Chose Journalism
Writer Access

Being asked about my major, by anyone, has always brought much discomfort. As a shy, awkward, painful-to-talk-to speech communications major, people tend to judge me SO much when they find out that this is my main pursuit in school. To quote one of my high school teachers, that I went back to visit about a year ago: "You're so soft-spoken, though; you sure you don't mean speech pathology?" And, to quote my grandma, speaking to my grandpa after they found out I changed majors again: "Can ya' believe it, hun? The one who doesn't speak!" Everyone seems to laugh and question why I, being the person I am, would chose a major that doesn't "suit me."

Like, okay. I get it, everyone. I didn't expect to go this route with my studies, either. But I did. And up until about a month or two ago, I had no clue what I was doing with it (which also made for some awkward conversations). I just knew there were a ton of possibilities, and that I would eventually find something that I enjoyed. And, like I implied a second ago, I pretty recently decided what I do want to do with my life: I want to write.

I've always been fond of writing, and although I'm not great at it, it's always been a little talent of mine. Writing for Odyssey made me realize that I really enjoy creating articles and lists and stuff, for anyone in the country to read: it made me realize that I, more specifically, want to go into journalism. So, I'm beginning a journalism and new media minor this semester. The awkwardness that used to come with discussing academics still continues, though -- because now, when people ask about my studies, they judge me for my major and my minor.

People seem to hate journalists, and I've noticed it more over the past couple of weeks. Everyone sees them as sleazy, rotten, gossips: when they think, "journalist," they think of paparazzi, and they think of those reporters who give their interviewees absolutely no personal space or room for dignity. Any time I tell someone that I'm striving to become a journalist of sorts, they basically tell me that it's gonna turn me into a douche-bag. They low-key wonder -- and sometimes, they actually ask -- why I would ever want to go into such a "gross," "unpopular" field. In fact, Animal Farm and Nineteen Eighty-Four author George Orwell agrees: "Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations."

Ever since I started writing on a more semi-professional level, such as with Odyssey, I knew exactlywhy I wanted to be a writer for the mass media: it's because I want to change the mass media.

I want to breach it, from the inside-out; turn it into something totally new, but still just as important. People hate journalists because they're "sleazy," and avoid watching the news or reading the papers because they want to avoid all the tragic events happening around the world. People can only take such high doses of bad news every day. With all these fashion nazis and body-image dictators and actual scary dictators and all the war and tragedies around the world today... it's all such devastating and exhausting information for people of any ethnicity, gender, or age to consume. People need to know about the bad things, obviously; they can't just live in a happy little bubble that's ignorant to all the crazy shit that happens every single day. But it's about balance. And our current sources don't know how to balance good with bad very well.

By balancing the media, I mean actually putting time into writing well-thought articles about positive things that happen around the world -- not just who shot who, who broke up with who, who did this and who did that. I want to see more articles about the hundreds of sweet children who take their time and birthday money to donate to charities that help other children; I want to write about things like that

I want to warm people's hearts with stories about the inseparable bond between two cute animals that have nothing in common. I want to study the betterment of zoos and aquariums, and encourage that upon the facilities who remain numb to the feelings of their animals. I want to shine a spotlight on local shelters that need adopters, on our cute furry friends who need to be adopted.

I want to do a full blown case study on the brave child who was kidnapped, or raped, or abused, or held captive, or damaged in any possible way; and used that experience to become more valiant, more strong than ever, and more willing to help other children in the same situations. I want to interview the war vets who lost limbs or abilities in war, but still continue to give to their community via inspiring stories of experience and bravery in darker times.

I want to create positive passages, praising the flaws on men, women, and those in-between, equally; I want to shine light on the wonderful things that have been achieved by people of color, Muslims, the disabled, and other minorities in America's dominantly-white, Christian population. I want to write about peaceful movements and efforts towards kinship between citizens and the authorities.

As a future writer for the news, a magazine, a newspaper, or whatever it may be; I want to produce a brand-new media, fueled by positivity and light. I will create a media that people don't need to avoid, in fear of discovering another wave of death and destruction somewhere in the world. I want to build a physical media that people can read or watch without having a panic attack or breaking down into tears because they're so hurt by the hatred and indecency they've newly witnessed. I want to build a media where people cry, not because they're sad, but because they are so moved by the lovely stories they find mixed into the vicious, unavoidable bunch.

Why do I want to be a journalist? Because I want to give our communities the hope and motivation to strive for overall betterment in every way possible, and then some. I want to found a brand new media, in which everyone has a voice to be heard. I want to acknowledge and share as much positivity as I can, in the dark world we live in; and my goal is to work as hard as I can to let others become aware of those positive aspects of the world, too.