I Didn't Choose Greek Life, Greek Life Chose Me

I've gained a lot from joining Beta Phi Gamma.

26
Facebook

From all the movies and TV shows I watched in high school that depicted Greek life, I had determined Greek life wasn’t for me before my freshman year even started. I bought into the stereotypical criticism that sorority and fraternity members buy their friends, and I never wanted to be the person who resorted to spending hard-earned money on artificial connections and invitations to parties. However, upon actually experiencing my freshman year of college, I realized that these stereotypes and preconceptions were completely and entirely false.

Some of the first friends I made on campus are my current sisters. Before I became a part of my sorority, the sisters at the time were nothing but open, welcoming, and fun. They always invited me to spend time with them, and their floor started feeling like home to me. These girls became some of my closest friends. Despite this, I chose to sit out of formal recruitment in the Spring. Part of me was still slightly unsure about joining a sorority due to all the stereotypes I had grown up hearing, but the feeling of envy I had watching some of my close friends go through cured me of that uncertainty. I watched my friends gained life-long sisters, indestructible bonds, and amazing memories, and I wanted that. I wanted to not only gain the friendship support of those girls, but I also wanted to be there for every one of them. At that moment, I realized that I wanted to join a sorority, and this fall, I found my home with the best group of sisters I could have ever asked for.

As a new member, I spent my semester getting to know not only my sisters, but also myself. Throughout this semester, my sisters have inspired me to reach to my fullest potential and never stop striving for greatness. Since joining a sorority, my grades have improved, my ambition has skyrocketed, and my confidence has increased exponentially. Each and every one of my sisters are strong, independent, confident leaders, and from them, I have learned to be the kind of leaders they continuously prove themselves to be. I am so incredibly thankful for the qualities and experiences they have all given me.

Today, I am a proud member of Beta Phi Gamma. This group of women who welcomed me into their sisterhood are some of the strongest, kindest, most unique role models I have ever come across. My sisters inspire me every day to be the best version of myself…and to remind the world how much I slay obviously. Whether it’s chicken nugget runs or guacamole and cuddling, my sisters are always there as my friends, my shoulders to cry on, my family away from home, and my biggest fans. So to answer the questions the general public may have about being in a sorority, no, I did NOT buy my friends. The friendships I’ve cultivated with my sisters started long before I pledged and will remain long after I graduate. And no, it is not about the parties. It absolutely is not about the parties. It’s about singing Christmas music at the top of our lungs together. It’s about Chinese dates. It’s about 2am McDonalds runs. It’s about Sunday morning breakfasts. It’s about the moments money can’t buy. So yes, I pay dues to be a member of Beta Phi Gamma, but the friendships I gain, the person I have become, and the memories I have made are absolutely priceless.