I Am A Feminist And Still Believe In Chivalry
relationships

Yes, I like it when he offers to pay for dinner, but that doesn't mean that I can't offer to pay as well or get the next one.

673
https://unsplash.com/photos/-8UEuVWA-Tk

Throughout these past few years, I have found that the word "feminism" can be misinterpreted throughout society. Although the feminist movement has bloomed again in these past couple of years, I have still found that some are confused on what feminism actually is. Feminism, in short, is believing that men and women should be treated equally. With this in mind, men and women should have equal opportunities and rights as the other.

However, some seem to believe that feminism means that the females are superior, which is not the case. Feminism demonstrates that females should be given the same opportunities as men and be put to the same standard as them. Now, although I am a feminist and believe this, I do still believe in chivalry. I like when a man offers to pay for dinner, opens the car door for me, etc. But that doesn't mean I'm not a feminist.

And let me make this clear. Just because I believe in chivalry, does not mean that I can't do anything of these things myself. Like I said before, feminism means equality for both females and males. This means that although my bank account and I loved to be treated, it works both ways. While my date can pay for the check on the first date, it is only right for me to offer to pay and pay for the next date. The point of chivalry is to feel cared for and taken care of. Chivalry was first a word used in medieval times to mean "courtly love", which is when a man would act in a gentlemen manner or act graciously towards others.

No one can deny that they like to be treated and cared for. The whole act behind chivalry makes others feel as though they are important and the man or woman feels a fondness for the other, and this is how they show their appreciation and love. When people try to exclaim that chivalry is dead, and the feminist movement has come, I have nothing but confusion. Yes, the act of chivalry started for males to court females and for men to act in polite and courteous ways. Now, it seems to have a negative connotation because of others believing that it is a thing of the past.

Caring for and treating others nicely is not a thing of the past. In fact, when people exclaim that chivalry is dead, it simply isn't true. You may have not met the person that will open the door for you, but that doesn't mean that chivalry is gone forever. I can personally say that I hold the door open for my boyfriend, pay for meals here and there, and he likes it because he feels treated and cared for.

Stop having tunnel vision when it comes to chivalry. Yes, although it started as a word meaning men courting women, doesn't mean that it is a word that cannot be used universally and interchangeably.

Just because someone is a feminist, does not mean that they do not believe in chivalry.