To My Childhood Friend Who I Will Forever Cherish

"A friend loves at all times." Proverbs 17:17

1182
Allison Cimpl

Ever since I was a baby, I've had the same best friend. Everybody knows "those girls" in a small town: The ones that are together all the time, know absolutely everything about each other, and the ones that are never apart from elementary to high school. That was us. Now, we're both at two different colleges and I constantly wish I could have my bestie back by my side. I think every girl who misses her best friend can probably relate to how I feel and what I would say to her to remind her how much she means to me.

1. I Miss You

Growing up, we were inseparable. From being able to go get ice cream together any time we wanted, to having an open-door policy at each other’s houses, our times together were the best. I’ll always cherish those simple memories along with the countless others that we made, like staying up until 2 a.m., mattress surfing down the stairs in each other's basements, or going to a different friend's house each night for a bonfire after a long day at the river. I miss the carefree days full of the laughter and light that we brought each other and, most importantly, I miss making memories with you. I miss you.

2. I Wish You Nothing But The Best

Although we're at two different colleges right now, I hope that you’re having the time of your life. I hope that you have new friends that are as great to you as you were to me, and I hope that you’re making new memories that you will cherish forever with them! I hope that you have somebody to laugh with until both of your stomachs hurt, and I hope that someone is there for you with M&Ms and a Lifewater when you’re crying because it’s been a long day and nothing has gone right. I wish you nothing but the best, and you don’t deserve anything less than the absolute best in your future.

3. I Hope That You Don’t Forget Your Roots

Deep down, I hope that neither of us forgets where we came from: our small, South Dakota town that harbored our hopes and dreams and helped us to become the individuals that we are now. I will always hold our hometown as a special place in my heart, because it was there that I was able to meet and grow with you.

4. I Hope That We Can Always Be Us

Let’s face it. Both of us were scared to grow up, graduate, go to college, and simply move forward with momentum. I think that I was partially scared because I didn't want to lose all of the friends that I loved. I now realize that, although growing apart is part of getting older and attending two different colleges, it's also important to make new friends while still being able to cherish the friends that you’ve had all along your journey. Although we may go forward in different directions, I will never forget you, and I will never forget the amazing impact you’ve had on my life. I will always cherish the times that we can come together again and reconnect. no matter if it is only for a quick coffee or a full-on getaway.

5. I Hope That We Never Forget Each Other

Being away from you has made me realize how blessed I was to grow up with a friend like you. Because of you, I know that I will always have somebody to love me and listen to me, even when I ugly cry, and you know that you’ll always have somebody there to listen to your midterm breakdown. I know that I was blessed to grow up with one of the most graceful and kind human beings on the face of this earth, and you will forever hold a spot in my heart.

6. I Hope That You Know How Thankful I Am For You

Because of you and the constant support you have given me throughout the years, I’m not afraid to follow my dreams and conquer my fears time and time again. Thank you for the light that you have brought into my life, and thank you for your loving friendship. Thank you for being you.