10 Books-Turned-Movies to Watch and Read in 2017

Whoever said the book is always better probably didn't see #7.
25

One of the best things about being on vacation and having time off from school is the chance to do some pleasure reading- and guilt-free Netflix watching! Here are my suggestions of books that double as movies to read and watch in 2017.

1. "Something Borrowed" by Emily Griffin.

This 2005 "chick-lit" novel begins with the main character, Rachel, waking up after a drunken night in bed with her best friend, Darcy's fiance, Dexter. Rachel and Dexter are so desperate for Darcy not to find out, that they almost forget the true feelings they've had for each other since law school, all the while planning the wedding.

The 2011 movie stars Kate Hudson as the you-love-her-or-hate-her antagonist, Darcy, and Ginnifer Goodwin as the seemingly goody-two-shoes BFF, Rachel.

2. "The Devil Wears Prada" by Lauren Weisberger.

This 2003 novel follows hopeful journalist Andrea in her deal with the devil to work for the impossible fashion magazine editor-in-chief Miranda Priestly for one year. If she can do it, she'll get a glowing recommendation to any publication in the city of New York she pleases, guaranteeing her a job in her field.

Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep are a dynamic tag team at the center of the conflict in the 2006 movie, supported by Emily Blunt and Stanley Tucci in the office. A must-see for anyone interested in fashion, or lack thereof.

3. "How To Be Single" by Liz Tuccillo.

The feel-good 2009 novel follows perpetually-single Julie around the globe in search of how women of all different cultures date, and also, "be single" in an effort to dig up the secrets of single-hood to bring back to her single female friends in New York.

This 2016 rom-com movie stars Rebel Wilson, who was also the heart and soul of the Pitch Perfect movies.

4. "I Don't Know How She Does It" by Allison Pearson.

The 1992 novel follows seemingly successful career woman and mother, Kate, who somehow juggles her important job managing a fund, as well as raising her two children, housekeeping, and maintaining her marriage. She is often forced to choose between work and home life.

The 2011 rom-com stars Sarah Jessica Parker and Pierce Brosnan.

5. "Queen Bees and Wannabees" by Rosalind Wiseman.

The 2002 book explains the psychology of mean girls, and is the basis for the classic movie "Mean Girls."

The 2004 movie starring Lindsay Lohan and Rachel McAdams as Regina George is a staple of American girl culture.

6. "Silver Linings Playbook" by Matthew Quick.

This 2008 novel tells the story of Pat, who, after a stint in a mental institution, has come back home to live with his parents, after losing his house, his job, and his wife. Recovery becomes life worth living when Pat meets Tiffany, a very depressed widow who is in need of a friend.

The 2012 movie starring Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, and Robert DeNiro is as heart-wrenchingly sad as it is laugh-out-loud funny.

7. "This is Where I Leave You" by Jonathan Tropper.

This 2009 book begins with a death in the family, which brings four very different adult siblings back to their childhood home for the first time in years. As a Jewish family, they sit shiva, and for a week must stay at home together in mourning, with open house for visitors to come and express their grievances. The siblings must face their troubled pasts with one another and hardships in their lives in order to properly grieve.

This 2014 movie starring Jason Bateman, Tina Fey, and Adam Driver is hilarious, heart-warming, and all too real.

8. "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" by Ann Brashares.

The 2001 novel follows four best friends around the world, connected by a shared pair of classic jeans that they mail to one another throughout the summer.

The 2005 film stars Blake Lively as the sporty friend, chasing her dreams to Baja California, American Ferrara as the sassy friend, coming to terms with her past and her new step-family, Amber Tamblyn as the rebel, and Alexis Bledel, known for her role as Rory in Gilmore Girls, as the studious one, jetting off to spend the summer in Greece with her grandparents.

9. "The Princess Diaries" by Meg Cabot.

The 2000 books follow invisible, nerdy, high school student Mia's transformation when her grandmother announces that she is a princess of a foreign nation. Mia struggles to change in order to uphold her princess duties, and loses herself in the process.

The classic Disney 2001 movie stars Anne Hathaway as Princess Mia of Genovia, and Julie Andrews as her grandmother, the Queen, who strives to mold her granddaughter into the proper princess.

10. "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green.

This 2012 novel details the forbidden love of two cancer-ridden teenagers fighting for their lives. But which one of them will die first? If you're in the mood to have your heart ripped out of your chest, pick up this book.

The 2014 movie starring Ansel Elgort and Shailene Woodley, who also starred in the movie "Divergent" is heart-breaking enough to make anyone cry.