Surviving Chicago Pride Parade

5 Tips For Pride Parade 2018

Don't forget to catch as many beads as possible!

22
5 Tips For Pride Parade 2018

Happy Pride Month! As Boystown residents know, this month is packed full of neighborhood activities which attract locals and suburban folk, and even out-of-state people sometimes. While the crowds can get a bit intimidating, following these tips may help provide easy ways to navigate the upcoming pride parade.

1. Pick out your spot early

With the parade starting at noon, be sure to get to the street bright and early to secure your place before the crowd comes in. If catching the beads is important to you, then get as close to the barriers as possible, but if comfort is, then look into restaurant patio and reservation options

2. Bring a fan - or catch one - and don't forget a bag

Be prepared for a bunch of companies and organizations throwing out a bunch of freebies, such as necklaces, paper fans, and other merchandise. However, don't rely on catching one as the crowds will be massive. Instead, look into buying a battery operated fan to wear around you neck, and don't forget a bottle of water to stay hydrated.

3. Keep other Boystown Events in mind

Last weekend was Pride Fest, this weekend is the parade, and in a few months is market days. While the street and neighborhood festivals don't attract quite as many people as the parade may, oftentimes this is a benefit so that people have more time to shop, eat, and enjoy the attractions. Mark your calendars!

4. Have fun!

Dress up! Go all out! This weekend is about pride and embracing identities so feel free to express yourself. The area is a judgement free zone and as a result, the more expression, the better.

5. Plan nightlife carefully

As you can probably imagine, after the parade, people tend to go straight to the after parties. Having a plan beforehand, and staying in groups is the easiest way to navigate what will be a densely packed few intersections. Also, prepare to stand in line for a while if choosing to go out, because venues often fill up to capacity.

Crowds aside, this weekend will be super fun, so grab your friends, plan your outfit, and have a great time!