How To Do Chicago As A College Student

How To Do Chicago As A College Student

Just think of the deep dish.

31
How To Do Chicago As A College Student
pixabay.com

As poor college kids, sometimes we feel like we're missing out on fun trips and events because of money. However, I'm here to tell you that if you do you your research, (almost) anything is possible.

This past weekend, I went to Chicago on a day trip for $20 (plus spending money of course). Here's how I did it, and how you can too.

1. Transportation

Transportation is often the trickiest part about getting to the Windy City. This past weekend, my boyfriend's school had a mega bus taking students there for $20 per person, but there are other cheap options if your school doesn't offer this.

The commuter train is a fab way to get the city for cheap—somewhere around $16 round trip. The only catch about this option is you have to drive to the nearest station, which for me, is about two hours away via car. But, once you get there, it's free parking and you only have to pay for your ticket. This is a cheap way to get to the city without stressing about finding parking and driving in the hectic city traffic. Best thing yet, the train drops you off at Union Station, which is right off of Michigan Ave.

2. Food

Food can get pretty expensive once you get into the city, but I'm here to tell you not to fret. There are some great and relatively cheap places to get some grub that won't have you stressing about how much money you have left in your pocket—especially for college students who are visiting for the day.

A. Portillo's

The first is Portillo's (100 W Ontario St, Chicago, IL 60610). Portillo's has burgers, hotdogs, milkshakes, salads, authentic Italian, pizza and more. For about $6 per entree item, you can bring a whole group there and satisfy a wide range of cravings in one place.

B. Food courts

Another option for college students is the food court in the Water Tower Place mall. The mall is on the northern part of the strip, which makes a great places to either begin or end your day on the Magnificent Mile with food. Throughout the entire mall there are 19 different food options—once again catering to the various food palates of your group. Not to mention, you might want to spend some time in the mall too, so you can grab a quick snack while you're doing so.

C. Deep dish

If you're thinking about getting some deep dish pizza, be prepared to set aside about two and half hours to eat—an hour for the wait, an hour for the pizza to cook, and then some time to actually eat. Especially if you're thinking about hitting up Giordano's, then my tip to you: expect longer and be thankful if it's a shorter wait. Though the pizza is more on the expensive side, usually an average person can eat about two deep dish slices, so sharing with your friends can also cut the price down.

3. Activities

While obviously you can spend your time shopping, there are also some cool sightseeing and cheap activities that you can do while in the Windy City.

A. Ice skating

The Skating Ribbon in Maggie Daley park offer skate rentals for $12 per person, so if it's wintertime, this is a fun option that you can enjoy with your friends.

B. Chicago 360

For $20 per person, you can see the entire city from the top of the John Hancock building (Chicago 360). This is a little pricy for one activity, but sometimes you can grab a coupon from people handing them out on Michigan Ave, and let's be honest. Have you ever seen the city from that angle before? It's pretty sweet.

C. Museums

There are also various museums that you can go check out as well, if shopping isn't your thing. Check out this list for a ton of options.

D. Coffee shops and conversations

One of my favorite things to do in Chicago is to walk around, window shop, and grab a coffee from a local coffee shop and spend time with the people I'm with. Sometimes it's just nice to be with your friends and family and S.O.'s. (Also, I recommend Argo Tea and Lavazza for delicious drink options.)

So there you have it folks. Granted, it's easy to spend a lot of money on a trip to Chicago, but if you're concerned about money, there are a lot of ways that you can save and stay on budget! Happy trails.