I'm Grateful That I Found My People

I'm Grateful That I Found My People

Who are my people? Why do I call them my people?

43
I'm Grateful That I Found My People
Allison Solarski

Most of us are aware of the term "my person." This is most commonly quoted from the marvelous Cristina Yang from "Grey's Anatomy."

"If I murdered someone, she's the person I'd call to help me drag the corpse across the living room floor. She's my person".

"You're my person. You will always be my person".

Your person is someone who you would sacrifice your life for, no questions asked.

I am lucky enough to not only have one person but several. I call these girls "my people."

My people are my forever friends. The friends I've had the longest. They are the people who have seen me at my worst yet still want to be friends with me. (They were friends with me during my awkward thin eyebrow phase and did not leave, they deserve a medal for that one). These are the girls who have not drifted away with time or distance. They have made other friends but still make the effort to keep in touch. These girls will be in my bridal party and be aunts to my future children.

It never occurred to me that I've found my people. It is such a refreshing feeling having a group of people who you can trust with absolutely anything. Nowadays I feel like some relationships are so temporary. It is hard to know people's intentions. As a person who struggles to trust new people, having my people to lean on is so refreshing. I know that I can turn to these girls about anything and they will be honest with me.

My people are the girls who would drop anything just to make sure I am OK. I would without a doubt do the same. The effort in the friendship is equally reciprocated and never forced. We always find time to get together and cherish every moment of it. There is no such thing as awkward silence. We could not see each other for months, but somehow the second we are reunited we pick up exactly where we left off.

My people think like I do. We are so similar and I believe that is what makes us so close. We value the same things in our lives. We know what is most important and we make sure to cherish it. We can tell if something is wrong without explicitly saying anything. We know the best ways to comfort each other because we understand each other. We motivate each other and have the best interest of each other at heart.

I am so grateful that I have a balance between my people, my family, and my friends. The difference between my people and my friends is distance. I see my friends every day and I do not get to see my people every day. I do believe with time my friends will also become my people.

My people know me better than I know myself. It is so important to find your people. I do not know how you know you've found your people, it's just a feeling. The best way I can explain it is a feeling of a comfortable happiness. Once you have found them, never let them go.