How To Know You've Found Your Person

How To Know You've Found Your Person

When you’re someone’s person, you stand by them through every hardship, phase of life, heartbreak, and every argument.

75580
Author

The term “my person” originated from the show "Grey’s Anatomy." My own personal definition is the person you go to for everything, the person you can’t live without, the person you can’t stay mad at, and the person that supports you in everything that you do. Being someone’s “person” is a commitment. There is a very big difference between being someone’s boyfriend/girlfriend/best friend and being someone’s person. When someone is your person, you have such a deep connection and understanding of one another -- you pretty much know each other like the back of your hand.

Being called someone’s person is an absolute honor. It means you are the person’s go-to. Your friendship has no limits, you will be best friends and each other's person until the day you die, and even then, the friendship is too strong to end by even that. When you’re someone’s person, you stand by him or her through every hardship, through every phase of life, through every heartbreak, and through every argument.

Another question you may ask is, how do I know if someone is my person? Well, here are my top five ways of how I found mine:

1. No matter what, she is always brutally honest with me.

Whether it’s about something I did to make her extremely happy or something I did to make her really pissed off, I can always expect honest feedback from her. There is no holding back when it comes to your person. She will always be straight-up with you and you will always be straight-up with her, and there is nothing that will ever change that.

2. Once something happens, she is the first person I have to tell.

A new job, family issues, gossip, drama, relationship problems, a good grade in school, something I just bought, a funny story, you name it -- she is always the first person I text, call, or FaceTime to tell. It does not matter if we are arguing or in a bad mood. We always run to each other for every single thing.

3. I can never stay mad at her.

When someone is your person, they rank higher than most of your friends. I don’t really know how to explain why, but you just know in your heart they do. With that being said, do you really think you can stay mad at your person? It’s really not possible. There are things that will happen that sometimes you think to yourself, wow I wouldn’t normally get over that this fast or easily with anyone else, but you find yourself just moving on from things so quickly with each other because the love you have for one another just breaks that barrier that’s usually up with everyone else.

4. I can’t picture a future without her.

Whenever I think about my future, I can’t help but think about hers too. I can’t help but think about the day both of us get married, get our own houses, and how our children will be best friends too. We always have the “we’ll have babies around the same time” talk.

5. I just know she’s my person.

There comes a point where you just know. She is pretty much a part of my family. Both of our families ask about the other person, we defend each other no matter what, we are always there no matter the time, nothing can keep us apart, nothing can come between us, and no friendship will ever be stronger than ours.

Thank you for being my person! I love you always and forever.