A White Person's Guide To Checking Your Privilege

"If you see 'Black Lives Matter' and believe that we're saying 'Black Lives Matter More,' then you're misinterpreting."

8
pixabay.com

In light of recent events, I feel it's important to note the changes in our society, or should I say the lack thereof. As our country progresses, there are a few key points that always seem to stay the same. Systemic racism, white privilege and those naive few that don't know they have it. With this in mind, keep a sharp look out to the things you see here. If you can relate, there's a good chance you're not using your privilege for good use.

1. You use the N-word and you're not a person of color.
  2. You find yourself defending yourself with "my boyfriend/girlfriend/friend/relative is black"
  3. You can't recognize the differences in court cases with those of color and those of Caucasian decent/racially white.
  4. You find yourself perpetuating "racial stereotypes" (i.e.- all black people eat fried chicken, all black women are always angry.)
  5. You have a confederate flag.
  6. You are angry at those kneeling for the National Anthem.
  7. You perpetuate the All Lives Matter campaign.
  8. You're standing by not commenting on the injustices of shootings and sentences for those of color.

Allow me, a white woman in living in America today, say that if you see "Black Lives Matter" and believe that we're saying "Black Lives Matter More" then you're misinterpreting. Yes, all lives matter. We're focusing on black lives right now because they are being targeted. We're focusing on black lives right now because the judicial system does not. The educational system does not. White Americans do not. We're focusing on black lives right now because black women are still portrayed as nothing beyond the "angry black woman" or the "sassy black woman" in movies, shows and news headlines. Black men are seen as nothing beyond "thugs," "murders" or "drug dealers" despite many not having picked up a murder weapon, illegal substance, ect. Stereotypes that are constantly being seen and ignored. We're focusing on black lives right now because Brock Turner served three months of his sentence for raping a woman behind a dumpster and Dylan Roof is still referred to as an "alleged" murder and excused of his apparent racism. Black lives need to be protected because when you type into google "black man" you see suggestions that end with shot, killed, crying and imprisoned. "White men" is finished with "love black women" and references to movies. Screaming All Lives Matter is negating a problem inherent and obvious to people of color all across America today. If you're making the case that all lives matter, tell Breast Cancer advocates all cancers matter.

Now I can't comment on the next part personally because as I've stated, I am Caucasian and so because I cannot comment on these, I asked for the opinions of my friends. After asking them their opinion on the Black Lives Matter movement, I got statements such as: "Color of skin has no effect on how I see a person and their character...with black lives matter a lot of people see it as a selfish movement which is far from the truth. What I want everyone to understand about BLM is all lives matter and this is why we have to stress the importance of black lives...Not too long ago, I had a friend tell me that black men are the most aggressive individuals, she had said it as though it was a fact. For days I thought "now why would she say that? She's not racist. But the thing is the preconceived notions that we have of people have got to stop."

Hearing that my friends and people I love and care about are being seen in an unflattering light, not because of who they are as a person or their character, but because of the color of their skin is heartbreaking. My friends and people I love are more likely to spend time in prison for drug offenses as white people are for violent crimes (according to the NAACP criminal fact sheet).

My friends parents are being pulled over for no reason but skin color. At the young age of 18, they have experienced and witnessed more discrimination than I have ever had the chance to even hear about. That is the problem with white privilege. We take it for granted and forget that we can use this gift that we don't deserve as a stepping stool to hold everyone's hand in the fight for justice. No matter the skin color.

According to Unlocking America, if African Americans and Hispanics were incarcerated at the same rates of whites, today's prison and jail populations would decline by approximately 50%.

I have been out to lunch with an old boyfriend of mine and people that didn't even know him commented that I shouldn't be allowed to be with him because of his skin color. They didn't know him, know that he was smart and motivated and kind. They saw his skin and decided they knew enough about the person that he was. I will never be able to truly understand how that feels from his perspective but I can't tell you enough how much it infuriated me. That was the moment that I began to understand on a more intimate level just how discriminatory people of America are. You hear horror stories of children and parents being shot and killed in front of their children and your first thought is

-"Did they deserve it?"

-"Were their hands up?"

-"What about all of the bad things they may have done?"

Let me remind you, these are still people. They were still living and breathing and doing their best to survive another day.

For years, I have sat comfortably near police officers; taught that they were the good guys. I have never been pulled over for no reason, never passed over for a job or sent home from school because of my name, skin tone or hair texture. I was never followed around stores or questioned when at the mall with friends. I was never told that I was unaccepted somewhere because my skin is pale.

I have sat too comfortably in my privilege.

White rapists given lenient sentences and white murders getting excuses in media headlines because when the perpetrator is white then they're just "mentally unstable" and the judicial system is concerned for how prison "would effect them mentally."

We stand for Paris but we don't stand for Americans. Where were you standing when Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, Sandra Bland, Eric Garner, Philando Castile, Alton Sterling, Oscar Grant and so many more fell?

All lives will matter once black lives begin to matter.

So, once more I remind every white person to check their privilege. Don't let your brothers and sisters of all races and origins get swept under the rug or go without justice and freedom that many take for granted. Speak for those that won't be heard, hold hands and unite the people of this country for once and for all. Allow America to be great.