Helping a friend
Friendships

Sometimes You Need To check on your strongest friend The Most

Ending the stigma on depression, anxiety, and suicide.

392

I personally have struggled with anxiety and depression in the past, and from personal experience, I know that it isn't something to be taken lightly. With all of the hurt in the world, people will often develop depression or anxiety throughout their life time. And if it gets to be too harsh, they will consider death by suicide.

This weeks article is something that is not easy to write about, but I believe it is a conversation to be had. We don't know what people go through on a daily basis or how their thought process works, but reaching out and being a friend could make all the difference.

I have had multiple friends of mine come and confide in me, and it is so heart warming to know that I put myself out there as welcoming and friendly. Many of the people that do talk to me were some of the strong-minded people in my life, and I would have never guessed that they had felt that way.

The best thing that you could do knowing that someone is in this situation is to be a good listener. There is probably a lot that they have going on in their mind, so listening to what they have to say is vital to understanding and eventually helping. Also, being a trustable person so they know you will not tell anyone else, is something that is very important to helping in these situations.

It can also just be something simple and random. Bring them to a movie. Go get ice cream. Go for a bike ride. It can help bring a smile to someones face and maybe get their mind off of things.

People that suffer from these mood disorders are not weird in any way. I absolutely hate hearing about someone telling another person to just kill themselves already. This is NOT how you should react no matter how much you despise that person. They have life, and every life on this planet matters.

So all that I am asking is that you be that friend or person to listen and give them a chance. Mental health matters, and the more kindness we can spread, the better even you, yourself, will feel.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273-8255