Checking Up on your friends

Everyone Should Check Up On Their Friends, Even The Ones Who Seem 'Fine'

Mental health is so important.

2956

Everyone says that you meet your best friends in college. While some might find that to be true, it's not the same for everyone. For a lot of people, their best friends are still the ones they made in high school. Though now there's a distance between the friendship, and it might be harder to keep up with old friends.

But,

It's important to check up on our friends and family, especially when we're farther away from them and don't have the time to hang out with them as much.

Everyone has problems! Everyone is collectively going through something and just trying the best they can to move forward in life and be happy. This is harder for some people more than others.

I'm finishing my second year of college. It's been two years since I've graduated from high school. There are people from high school that I speak with every day or every other day. Some every other month and some not at all.

Yet, when I heard that someone from my high school had passed, it was hard process that. These were people that I hardly even knew or said hi to, so why was their passing affecting me so greatly? I can't imagine how their friends felt.

Until I saw how they felt. All over social media, friends of the person who had passed begin to share stories and photographs of their times together. People made comments that they hadn't spoken in years, some ended on bad terms, and some just got busy with life.

But each and everyone said something along the lines of, "I should've checked up on you."

Yes, we all get busy. Yes, we all have our own issues. Yes, sometimes keeping in contact with people can be HARD. But people need people. It is so important to check on people and make sure they're doing okay. Being sympathetic towards people and their own struggles can actually help us better deal with our own.

So, if you know that a friend has been struggling, reach out. Ask them if they're okay, and plan to visit. Be there, as a support system. We often put ourselves first in life, and there's nothing selfish about that. We can only fix ourselves, we can't fix other people.

But, we can hold their hand while they fix themselves.

That's what friendship is about! It's about caring for someone and loving them, no matter the distance or how much time has passed.

And,

If you are the friend that is struggling and could use support, reach out to your friends too. They love you, and you are not burdening them with asking for help. I don't know how many times I've reached out to my friends and they helped me SO much, and later they tell me they have problems of their own and didn't reach out to me.

When I ask why, they say, "I didn't wanna bother you!" No way!! Get support, give support.

Give love and spread love.