Cheater Cheater

Cheater Cheater

Cheating as told by college students.

68
Cheater Cheater
Ashley Madison

Cheating happens when someone in a committed relationship does something with another person. What is actually considered cheating varies throughout different people. Some people consider having sexual contact or conversations with somebody other than their significant other to be cheating. Others feel that as soon as you have to start hiding or lying about what you're doing, that you are cheating. A cheating situation involves three roles, the person cheating, the person they are cheating with, and the person being cheated on. I spoke to eight college students and asked as series of questions.

(Names will remain anonymous and details of the situations were advised to be as vague as possible)

Person A: Female, 19

Person B: Female, 20

Person C: Female, 20

Person D: Male, 21

Person E: Male, 21

Person F: Male, 22

Person G: Female, 19

Person H: Male, 19

1. What do you consider to be 'Cheating'?

A: "If you kiss another girl, not just like a kiss, or texting another girl, besides like class stuff, or like hanging out with other girls. And of course though like sex."

B: "Anything that is disloyal. Like if my significant other was talking to someone that I didn't like and he lied to me about it. I don't think just physical stuff is cheating, you can emotionally cheat."

C: "I guess, anything physical.. or if you are talking and your heart is in it. Feelings. Like catching feelings physically, but also catching feelings period."

D: "When you and your significant other have a label, anything from flirting to texting and even the obvious such as kissing and sex."

E: "Talking to another person the same way as [you do to] your significant other."

F: "Anything that goes outside of the rules or standards of what is accepted or considered normal."

G: "if you have an agreement with someone, title or not, if you start having to lie about who you are with or what you are doing, you're cheating."

H: "The person that you have a relationship with talking or showing the same feelings that they have with you, is doing the same thing to someone else that is cheating."

2. Have you ever cheated?

A: "No."

B: "No."

C: "Yes. I just kissed someone else. but then I told him like an hour after it happened."

D: "Yes. Basically I cheated because I found out my significant other cheated."

E: "No ma'am."

F: "No I have never cheated."

G: "Yes, twice. Once in high school, on a guy that I thought I really liked. I cheated on him with an old friend that had come to visit. The second time I was in college, my boyfriend and I were having some issues, and I found comfort in another person."

H: "No."

3. Have you ever been cheated on?

A: "Every relationship I have ever had. I was with someone for six years and the last six month of our relationship, I found out that he had also been dating another girl. He also had a child with her while we were together."

B: "Yea... Like every guy I have been with. I was engaged to a man who was in the army and he got deployed; got a girl pregnant; brought her back and married her. Others have emotionally and physically cheated."

C: "Yes. Several times, by the same person. I guess the first few times were just like... not THAT physical because we were really young. But then we chose to stay together and he talked to a coworker for months. Like feelings, he said they didn't get physical but the messages read 'oh I miss you,' or 'that kiss was great.'"

D: "Yes, I have been. She cheated on me with the same guy she cheated on her previous boyfriend with... So I guess just had the urge."

E: "Yes ma'am. It hurt."

F: "Yes I have. When I was a senior in high school, I dated a girl for five months. She came clean that she had cheated on me with one guy, but after we had broken up she admitted to cheating on me with three other guys."

G: "Yes, one good time. We were together for a while; he started drifting and eventually we broke up. He started dating another girl. I found out from her friend about five months after we broke up, that he had been cheating on me for about two weeks before we officially broke up."

H: "Yes,Basically the girl that I was dating, she tried to play a game. and the same time that we were dating she was talking to my homeboy. When I went off to college him and I weren't in contact. I started talking to her and she said she wasn't with anybody. When him and I got back into contact we discovered that it was the same girl."

4. Have you ever been the other person, knowingly or not?

A: "Yea, not knowingly. During my six year relationship, where he had cheated on me, they had made it official. Making me the other woman."

B: "No, to my understand I haven't been the other woman. but you never know if he has a girl back home. I would never knowingly be a home-wrecker."

C: "No, I don't think so..."

D: "Yes. It was unknowingly and I felt like complete {crap} afterwards."

E: "Yes ma'am. I hung out with and talked to someone in an open relationship."

F: "Yes I have. I was hanging out with someone [be]cause they were upset that they had been cheated on. We ended up fooling around, but they hadn't broken up with the other person yet."

G: "Yes, quite a few times unknowingly... twice knowingly. The first time, I knew from the beginning... we started messaging, ended up talking the entire summer, things never got physical. The second time, was with a really good friend. I knew he had a girlfriend; for a long time we were never anything but friends. One night we were watching movies and things became physical. I asked him about her the next time we hung out and he said they were still together. We proceeded to see each other two more times after that. We had a talk the last time and now we don't speak."

H: "yes I have, Basically, a girl was dating a guy I didn't know, her and I just became friends.. nothing serious happened we went to the movies, she bought me something for my birthday. I got on social media one day, and it wasn't on hers or his, but a mutual friend and saw them together. I asked her who he was and she tried to lie, but the truth finally came out."

5. Any other comments?

A: "Why? Why do it? What's the point? Especially if you have someone that will do anything and everything for you. Especially if they treat you like a king/queen. Why would you throw all that a way for a one night stand or even for someone who is only going to be there when you want sexual things."

B: "Cheating is wrong. It ruins lives and trust around the world. Stay loyal or stay single."

C: "Dump them the first time, they aren't worth it."

D: "Yea, just break up with the other person if you feel like you can't truly be committed to them."

E: "Cheating is different for everyone some people have agreements on what they can do in a relationship and as long as that agreement isn't breached they don't consider things cheating."

F: "Before you do it put yourself in the other person's shoes and think about how they're going to feel when they find out. Because they will find out, and it will hurt them.

G: "Cheaters know what they're doing. Being cheated on is the worst thing in the world. I have been at all three stand points and I still don't understand why it happens."

H:"Very pointless.. I see no reason in cheating. if you're going to cheat you shouldn't have anissicated a relationship. youre just wasting someones time. There is no use for it. Cheatng is just something that is uncalled for."

This has been an interesting article for me to write. These stories are real and this is a glimpse into the relationships of college students. This is the time where you learn and gain trust in others. Do not waste peoples' time... Love and love hard, not everyone is the same.