5 Reasons Why You Need To Indulge Sometimes

I am all for knowing the chemicals we are consuming and living an organic lifestyle, but lately, I feel like so many of us are missing out on how good life can be when you develop a healthy relationship with food.

165
https://www.everypixel.com/search?q=eating&orientation=1&stocks_type=free&image_id=13920096286032718717
Every Pixel

With all of the talk of Keto, cleanses, and counting calories, many of us can get obsessed with the foods we are putting in our bodies. I am all for knowing the chemicals we are consuming and living an organic lifestyle, but lately, I feel like so many of us are missing out on how good life can be when you develop a healthy relationship with food. Part of building that healthy relationship is giving yourself leeway to indulge and savor the things you enjoy.

1. Your taste buds will expand.

I mean that literally! When you eat different foods, your palate expands, allowing you to have a completely different outlook on food. Trying something new (and I'm not saying a new fast food place because, let's be honest, they all taste somewhat the same) may introduce you to something your taste buds go crazy for. This new food might end up being your favorite midnight snack or rainy day treat, but you will never know that if you don't allow yourself to eat it in the first place!

2. You'll be happier.

When you let yourself have a cheat day every once in a while, without feeling guilty, your mood becomes lighter and the world seems a little more positive. If you didn't already know this, eating food releases endorphins, leaving you feeling happier. No wonder why everyone loves to go out to eat!

3. It keeps you on track.

If you indulge every now and then, you won't want to do it all the time. But, if you never allow yourself go off the track a little bit, you're most likely to crash at some point. You need to have some sort of balance when it comes to eating. For me, I crave dark chocolate, so allowing myself to have some chocolate covered cranberries is the perfect tiny treat to keep me on track.

4. It's manageable.

Life gets busy! A lot of the time, we don't have the patience to meal prep, especially during the school year when you work and classes are in full effect. I am not saying to eat unhealthy and stop at the drive-thru McDonald's, but grabbing an iced coffee or a quick pretzel won't kill your diet and make you gain 10 pounds!

5. Life is too short.

I don't know about you, but I am not going to look back on life thinking of all the things I missed out on because I was so worried about my food intake. Food is not going away, so make friends with it. Going out to dinner, eating popcorn at the movies, or having a hot dog at a baseball game is all part of the experience. Life is too short to worry so much!