10 Things We Don't Have On The Corner In Charlottesville, But Should

I'm about to get even more unrealistic with what I expect out of this university.

1912
Martin Phillips Photography

If you're a UVA student, then you're probably extremely appreciative of how close the Corner is to dorms and the rest of central grounds. We've got a lot of wonderful establishments right at our fingertips, from healthy salad places to combo juice-and-yoga spots to late-night hangouts, and on any given day or night the Corner is always hopping with students going here and there.

However, I believe that given unlimited resources, UVA students could still use several services and activities in locations that are more walkable than Barracks or downtown.

1. An escape room

There is an escape room in downtown Charlottesville, but I'd love for there to be an escape room feature on the Corner as well. Now that 1515 has emerged as an all-purpose space that students actually frequent, it certainly has the wherewithal to transform a study room or two into escape rooms every month. This could also be a really fun outing for UVA students looking to celebrate a birthday with a wholesome, fun activity that their parents would be proud of.

2. A thrift store

Think of this Corner thrift store as a glorified Goodwill where UVA students can stock up on party and Halloween costume material without having to ask friends for a ride. I know I always end up being really lazy with costumes simply because it's too much of a production to go shopping for costume ideas. This idea could also serve as a seasonal costume shop to serve the celebratory needs of UVA students year-round. No longer will you unsuccessfully scramble to find an ugly Christmas sweater or something, literally anything, green for St. Patrick's Day.

3. A dance studio/some way to take dance classes

As someone who danced from elementary school through high school, but hasn't pursued dance much in college, I miss my days of strengthening my muscles through ballet every week. I wish that UVA students who were so inclined had a way to indulge in their love of dance without taking a credited course or joining a dance company with an intense rehearsal schedule. I'd love the chance to casually go to a ballet class on a Thursday night or Saturday morning and console myself with this as my sole form of exercise.

4. An old-fashioned diner

The Corner, fortunately, has several tasty options for late-night food, but sometimes I'm really just craving a milkshake or ice cream at night, and we don't really have a late-night diner to hang out in. I know that FIG sits on the site of the old University Diner, and I'd love if we had some way to resurrect this Corner relic and open a modern ode to a 50s-style diner on the Corner.

5. A movie theater

Yes, UPC's almost-weekly movie screenings in Newcomb Theatre are a nice consolation when I just missed seeing a movie last summer or over winter break. However, I'd really enjoy it if there was a space on the Corner that, if it didn't feature new movies, perhaps screened old movies or had movie trivia or some similar events. The movie theaters downtown and on 29 are great for those willing to venture a little farther afield to see a movie, but I have this old-fashioned fantasy of a small town-style movie theater on the Corner that could be another nice option for students who are looking for more sober weekend fun.

6. A dorm/apartment decor shop

I'd love to have somewhere walkable that was sort of like the poster sale that happens at the beginning of every school year, except it was year-round and had more to offer. This store could consist of anything from posters to canvases to cute storage boxes to various knick-knacks you normally have to force yourself not to ogle at in Target. Of course, who really needs an additional outlet for retail therapy when all of their available funds are going to Bodo's every week? Certainly not me. But this would still be fun to have.

7. A furniture/housewares store, for either rentals or purchases

Building off of the last idea, it would also be nice to have some way to rent large items that I didn't anticipate needing after college or wouldn't be able to transport to my post-graduate residence. Even if this rental service turned out to be too expensive or impractical, it would still be convenient to have somewhere more walkable that basically expanded on the "dorm supplies" section of the UVA Bookstore and had pots, pans, placemats, and the like for sale.

8. An art studio

Similar to the dance studio idea, I'd love to have somewhere close by where I could go to fun art classes occasionally and convince myself, for one fleeting moment, that I'm cut out for a career in visual arts. Whether this art studio offered ceramics classes, painting pre-made pottery, or just coloring, I think this would prove to be very therapeutic for UVA students who enjoy getting their weekly stress out by creating something beautiful.

9. A late-night tutoring service

We've all had the feeling of struggling with homework late at night in Clemons, unsure of how to proceed and wishing we had an expert nearby to help us solve that inscrutable calc problem. Wouldn't it be great if there were students designated to be on-call at precisely these direst hours, specializing in different subjects, that could answer emergency questions from frustrated students? Unfortunately, sometimes the textbook can only take you so far, but here's where actual human interaction might prove to be extremely helpful.

10. A grocery store with fresh produce

Yes, we have Corner Grocery and Cohn's, but just imagine if there was actually a small grocery store on the Corner where first years and students without cars could get fresh produce and healthier options beyond just the "snacks" section at Croads. I am well aware of services like Greens to Grounds that bring fresh, locally-sourced food straight to UVA students, but I'd love to be able to pick out nicer food on my own time, without having to ask my roommate for a ride.

Obviously, there is not infinite space available within walking distance of Grounds, and many of these ideas are just wishful thinking. But if someone can dream up the incredibly successful idea that was Roots a few years ago, then surely a creative mind would be able to bring one of these ideas to life. And if my Comm School education somehow takes me down a completely unexpected path, I'll just have to reinvent myself after graduation as a "confident entrepreneur with no actual funds for my vaguely impressive idea" and get started on one of these myself.