Baylor Chapel: Racial "Reconciliation," or Racial Polarization?

"United we stand, divided we fall." - Aesop

93
Unknown

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016, many students at Baylor University, including myself, attended chapel, the course that we are all required to take for at least two semesters. We expected it to be a service of honor, reverence, praise. But that is not at all what we got.

Instead, we sat down to a panel of four professors who sat up on stage and discussed the topic of racial equality, Black Lives Matter, and discrimination in this country. We sat down to a panel that told us that there was a race war in this country, and that we dwell amongst a society full of hateful beings. We discussed the definition of prejudice and racism and were told that if you believe that all lives matter or that black lives matter, then you should go ahead and “check your white privilege.” (News flash: you don’t have to be white to believe that police lives are important or that all lives do matter. As a matter of fact, I am a 18 year old black student who indeed does believe that all lives are equally important.)

Don’t get me wrong— no society is perfect and there are clearly still racial issues that are very prevalent today. However, to force a mass of students to listen to political propaganda, from a biased panel of professors in whom all held the same opinion, is wrong. To treat a subjective matter as an objective one, and imply that anyone who disagrees is unethical, is wrong. To replace a time for religious reflection or constructive topic discussion with an attempt to indoctrinate and belittle some of those in the room, is wrong. To force a group of students to embody beliefs that aren’t their own for the sake of “political correctness” is wrong. And frankly, myself and many others were nothing short of disappointed with what we had to sit through.

Aside from that, let’s go a little deeper for a minute and look at why the argument that was made, in fact, doesn’t hold much validity in the first place.

As it pertains to Black Lives Matter, promoting an organization that started off with good intentions, but resulted in the flipping of cop cars, burning of stores, looting, murdering and rioting probably isn't the wisest thing to do at a Christian university. Secondly, the movement is counterproductive. They are fighting to be seen as the same as everyone else, yet continually set themselves farther and farther apart by isolating themselves and getting angry when people say that all lives matter (even though they do). Now I know, I know, many BLM advocates will try and argue that “black lives aren’t the only ones that matter, we are just choosing to focus on them right now.” However, equality is something that must be worked for TOGETHER. Demonizing one group of people and leaving all other minorities out of the equation is just a recipe for more strife and separation. If BLM continues to chastise others, then no one is going to want to come together. As a matter of fact, people will want to do just the opposite. They are going to get fed up with being generalized constantly and will refuse to come together. It’s pretty ironic how the more prevalent BLM and other similar groups are becoming, the more and more this nation is becoming divided, polarized, as opposed to becoming unified. The more this nation is regressing as opposed to progressing.

Furthermore, people say that the issue is solely based on the color of our skin. While that point holds some extent of truth, for the most part I beg to differ (at least as it pertains to people in America). We must not forget that this is coming from students who are privileged enough and financially capable enough to attend BAYLOR UNIVERSITY, one of the most prestigious private universities in the entire nation. To call ourselves oppressed is just silly. I, a biochemistry major and aspiring physician, refuse to call myself oppressed. As a matter of fact, pretending to be oppressed, when the majority of nations have it way worse than we do is a complete insult to people everywhere. So many would kill to be in our position, so instead of griping and complaining we need to appreciate how far we’ve come. We have the same rights as everyone else. And honestly, those of us who are better off financially also have the same opportunities. Look at Beyonce or Jay-Z, loved and idolized in America. Heck, we even have the first black president. Thus, perhaps race isn’t the root of the problem, but economic class division.

In America, 27.4% of African Americans live in poverty and 26.6% of Hispanics do. On the contrary, only 9.9% of whites live in poverty. Also, the majority of crimes are committed by those in poverty or of a lower class. So naturally, it makes sense that more are incarcerated etc. Now in no way am I saying that all of these incarcerations are deserved or that every verdict is correct. However, to put things in perspective, African Americans make up 13% of the population, while white people make up 64%. Yet, African Americans make up 40% of the prison populations while whites make up 39%. Additionally, from 1990-2008, African Americans have committed 52% of the homicides in the United States. Not to mention that 90% of the black population killed has in fact been killed by other blacks. Therefore, we have a serious problem at hand:

What we should be focusing on is providing ways for African Americans and minorities in general to escape the brutal cycle of poverty. What we should be working towards is reducing violence in predominately black neighborhoods, on preventing the killing of blacks at the hands of our OWN people. What we should be doing is reaching out to the needier communities and extending a helping hand. What we should be doing is not victimizing ourselves and take advantage of opportunities to rise up in life.

In total, what I’m trying to say is that there are definitely racial issues in this country and there always will be. I, as a black 18 year old have most definitely encountered it on many occasions. But at the point we are at now, the issues lie more within the hearts of hateful people, than with our country or our government. Our government already did their part by ensuring that we all have the same rights and privileges. Our nation already did their part by presenting a land of freedom, equality, and opportunity so that all can succeed. Now the rest is up to humanity, to change their ways and see things differently, and correctly. Because unfortunately, if people want to be racist, then they will continue to do so. What we can do is continue to love everyone, like Jesus loves us. We can continue to treat everyone kindly and lovingly, because if we do, there WILL be a change. An evolutionary one.

Many won’t agree with me and will even become angry at me for voicing all of this. But frankly, that’s OK. I’m not worried about what others think and say all of this unapologetically. Because guess what? It is indeed possible to be black and believe that we, as human beings, all have worth, all have value, and all matter. I feel so passionately about this because I care so much about black lives and because I truly hope that one day, race won’t be seen and that everyone will be unified as one. But until we learn to stop isolating ourselves, with destructive movements such as BLM, then that will never, ever happen.

So, Baylor, you might want to re-think the next time you decide to attempt the brainwashing of your students because it was inappropriate and unacceptable. Not only were there many accounts of misinformation, but by forcing those opinions on others, you have attempted to silence our voices. You have attempted to push your political correctness on everyone. But most of all, you have bought into the “race war” facade, and have further polarized the students on this campus. You have ignited a flame that won’t be able to be put out. And unfortunately, this is only the beginning.