I Never Thought I'd Join A Sorority... Until I Did

From a "totally against sororities" girl.... to a sorority girl.

44
Brittanie Keener

So, let’s start off by saying, I never thought this is something I would do, but I am so glad I did.

Ever since I’ve heard of “sororities” I’ve always believed in the stereotype. A bunch of stuck up girls who were perfect and only friends with each other. I don’t think I’ve ever been more wrong about something. When I got to college, I got to see the real side of these “sorority girls”, who, might I add, are just like you and I. I was and became friends with many of them. I got to learn so much about them, but really, I still had that certain mind set in the back of my mind that I couldn’t completely get past. I never really thought anything about it past that, and being friends with some of them.

Now, as a junior in college, bored out of my mind, wishing I was involved in something, I watched as all the new freshmen went through recruitment and secretly wished I could be them… they looked like they were having so much fun. But I honestly thought I was too late, and it would never happen, so I just left it alone. Needless to say, the next week I had a super vivid dream that I was dead set on joining a sorority on campus, but specifically AOII. So, I took it as a sign. I talked to my mom, got her on board and talked to my friend, Olivia, who was already a member and told her everything. She got me in contact with the New Member chairman, and I had a meeting at the end of the week. Talk about moving fast! I was so nervous but so excited all the same!

So I met with the New Member chairman, asked all the questions and left my fate of joining AOII in her hands. I don’t think I’ve freaked out about something so much! Sunday night, I got a call offering me a bid to join AOII and I was ecstatic! I was now something I never thought I would be. A sorority girl.

It’s been about a week since I’ve been accepted into my new sisterhood, and I can honestly say it’s the best choice I’ve made since coming in to college. I was welcomed with open arms and was blessed with some of the best new sisters. This entire process has gone completely opposite than what I expected, and yes, that’s a good thing. These girls are so sweet and welcoming and already love me for who I am, not what I look like. You see, those stereotypical sorority girls you see in the movies or shows, are nothing like that. They are all different, they are sweet and caring and so accepting. I couldn’t be more confident that I made the right choice.

We may take typical pictures, we may walk around like we’re in some kind of pact, but we’re all the same as you. Just with a whole lot more sisters ;)

Moral of the story…. Just go with your gut and see where it takes you! You just might enjoy it after all!