Can You Change Someone’s First Impression Of You?

Sometimes, people aren’t what they seem to be at first.

742
Pexels.com

Oftentimes, our relationships with new people we meet either flourish or come to a quick halt based on the first impressions that we get. It is said that “you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression”; however, is this really always the case? I’ve seen plenty of individuals change their perception of others over time. It’s not easy, but it is definitely possible to change the way people first thought of you.

My roommate and I actually had a pretty decent discussion about this. It may not seem like something that is super important to most people, but the idea of changing someone’s first impression might be something of high value to some individuals. For example, one of my friends in Miami met his girlfriend’s parents for the first time a few weeks ago, and according to his girlfriend, her parents did not have a good first impression of him. Mind you, he graduated college and is currently working in his field of study (Sports Medicine/Physical Therapy); however, his girlfriend’s parents aren’t interested in that. Unfortunately, her parents have the mindset that if you are to be dating their daughter, he has to have a “more important” occupation, such as a businessman, politician, or something that makes you extremely rich (they are somewhat superficial).

So, the question still stands: can you change someone’s first impression of you? In my opinion, the answer is absolutely yes. As stated before, it is extremely difficult and it takes a while, but people have managed to alter the first impressions people once had of them. Earlier today, my friend from Miami texted me and told me that his girlfriend’s parents invited him to have dinner with them. They’ve seen how happy he makes her, and they decided to give him another chance. This goes to show that anything is possible if you are willing to put in the time and effort.